1. Welcome to the Canadian Fishing Forum! If this is your first visit, please go ahead and sign-up to become a member! (Many threads and comments are visible only to Members who sign up with a VALID email address.) Do not hesitate to contribute and interact with fellow members.

2017 AEM Content Preview

Discussion in 'Paid advertising Text Ads. Dealers and Retailers' started by robm, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Patty

Patty Well-Known Member

^^^ 100% why their maps are hands down better than anything we have seen in the past or that we will see from other sources... The dedication and attention to detail is 2nd to none!!!

EYEhigh89, PeteK, Tony and 4 others like this.
  2. Gotaf7

Gotaf7 Well-Known Member

We they up river from Sturgeon falls Bryan?

3. craigm

craigm Well-Known Member

We spent some time up there yesterday @Gotaf7 , some minor touchups on Nutimik also. Honestly, I am not sure that anyone will be able to notice the difference once the edits are incorporated....but we have improved our methods of data collection a little bit since we mapped some waters (we started in 2009).....also, it bears mention that flood events can change rivers and even lakes....and we have had a few record events in the past 3 years.... and as a result want to touch a few things up here and there.

Regarding the Winnipeg River, water is nice and low right now....so we were actually able to get an intimate understanding of Sturgeon Falls. Pretty cool! Not that anyone is ever going to fish right in the falls....but for the sake of completeness and accuracy.....well, it had to be done!

Mike B., Ernie, Cubdriver and 9 others like this.
  4. Gotaf7

Gotaf7 Well-Known Member

Very nice Craig! If one wanted you could probably paddle a canoe through the falls this year, thanks for the update keep the good work coming!

robm, craigm and Gord like this.
  5. robm

robm Well-Known Member

I thought we were going to have to contract a whitewater kayaker to strap a transducer on and collect some data for us while barrel rolling in the falls...this low water tinner strategy works too though. :grinning:

Mike B. likes this.
  6. Gord

Gord Well-Known Member

Just finished adding the names of the lakes on my Elite.. Hopefully I didn't miss any..

Tony likes this.
  7. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

Ummm how do you do this?

8. Gord

Gord Well-Known Member

I just find them and make them as waypoints. Sit with at my pc with Google maps open and mark them instead of scrolling to find them and wondering which is which..lol I'm thinking after a while I'll know but till then they are marked. I also used the AEM website maps to get all the names of the lakes http://www.anglersedgemapping.com/digitalmaps.html

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    Tony and Mike B. like this.
  9. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

Most of them I have come to know. There are times however I sit in the boat, in the garage, and look at the map and think I would like to fish something new. I start scrolling and then I hit some lakes that I'm not sure which ones they are. Definitely not a deal breaker but @craigm and @robm if it's easy to incorpate into future updates that would be sweet for this novice angler.

Gord and robm like this.
  10. robm

robm Well-Known Member

@Tony , I've found myself wanting lake labels on many occasions while scrolling around the base map as well, so I don't think you being a self-proclaimed novice angler has much bearing on that - I should know AEM waters better than most! With a sizable'ish catalogue that continues to grow, we understand that labels would be helpful to many to figure out what you're looking at at a glance, especially for lakes you aren't familiar with. @craigm and I discussed earlier this year and will be investigating with the goal of having labels for 2018. We'll try and get some feedback from the CFF crowd once we have something to bounce off you guys.

Gord, satannas, Patty and 2 others like this.
  11. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

Awesome Rob! I find when zoomed in on a lake and then scrolling over and ending up on another lake that I have to zoom right out to see where I'm at in relation to the map to have an idea on what lake I'm currently on. Like I said, not a deal breaker but would be helpful. ;)

Gord likes this.
  12. Green

Green Well-Known Member

I'm not really sure how lake labels would work if you are already zoomed in on a lake. Would have to be a watermark that stays on the screen until you scan over to a different lake then the watermark changes...

It would be more helpful I'd think if when zoomed all the way out to the point where you can see something like the whole province on one screen, you could see labels scattered throughout the province. Then you could put your curser over the lake name and zoom in , once close enough the name disappears before you get into any detailed map.

Tony, Gord, lake-fisher and 2 others like this.
  13. Ernie

Ernie Administrator Staff Member

What I do is name the launch on the lake with the lake name and use the launch icon. That also gives me the option to search waypoints by lake name to zoom in on that lake even if I'm 100s of miles away.

ribbie, Tony, Gord and 1 other person like this.
  14. craigm

craigm Well-Known Member

Shouldn't be too hard to implement something guys, thanks for the suggestions.

Mike B., Tony, Gord and 1 other person like this.
  15. Gord

Gord Well-Known Member

Ya now I can see the icons I put in with the names and know where I'm going. Little bit of work but I get to know all the lakes also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

Agreed, but lots of times I zoom out to where I'm only seeing that lake, then I will scroll around. At the point where I only have one lake in view would be nice to have a name on it but I do get your point.

Great idea @Ernie and I will start doing that as well, or at least until @craigm and @robm incorporates this in? ;)

Gord likes this.
  17. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

Well *ahem* since the end of open water season *ahem* is upon us, *ahem* I think we need a preview of 2018. *cough, cough*

Gotaf7, ribbie, ericcooley and 7 others like this.
  18. Little Spoon

Little Spoon Well-Known Member

I second this movement

Gord and Tony like this.
  19. Jneuf

Jneuf Well-Known Member

Thought 'Bird was the word, Spoon? ;)

And yes, x2 on Tony's comment!

Mike B., ribbie, Patty and 1 other person like this.
  20. Gord

Gord Well-Known Member

There’s a preview

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk