1. Welcome to the Canadian Fishing Forum! If this is your first visit, please go ahead and sign-up to become a member! (Many threads and comments are visible only to Members who sign up with a VALID email address.) Do not hesitate to contribute and interact with fellow members.

2018 AEM Content Preview

Discussion in 'Paid advertising Text Ads. Dealers and Retailers' started by robm, Dec 6, 2017.

1. PeteK

PeteK Well-Known Member

Was there snowmobiling last Saturday, would be nice to view the map on the sled,maybe even drop a line if it ever warms up!

Gord, Patty, robm and 3 others like this.
  2. Inmate

Inmate Well-Known Member

OMG

craigm, Gord, robm and 2 others like this.
  3. Bryan

Bryan Well-Known Member

Very well done, you guys are pushing me outside my comfort zone.

Gord, Patty, robm and 2 others like this.
  4. Mike B.

Mike B. Well-Known Member

Stay off my Bass lakes you pickeral googan :laughing: :p

Bryan, Patty, robm and 2 others like this.
  5. ribbie

ribbie Well-Known Member

you spelled good sized pikes wrong Mike ;)

craigm, Mike B., Bryan and 4 others like this.
  6. robm

robm Well-Known Member

I got into a good few walleyes last fall while hump hopping looking for smallies, ie not trying to catch eyes...I’m pretty confident that there’s a good healthy walleye population there. Sorry Mike. Lol

Thanks for the feedback, glad the video with tracks and all is having the intended effect (bringing visibility to what we’re really doing out there in terms of dats colllection). LBS is big and I would put it right up there with Shoal structure-wise, so the tracks you see are a bit busier than for some of the lakes we’ve surveyed. But that’s the AEM M.O - thorough coverage, we don’t miss much. Sturg structure is really BIG too; big long points & humps, almost mega structures...the video doesn’t do the size of the lake and scale of these features justice. To quote @craigm - “giggity.”

craigm, Gord, Tony and 8 others like this.
  7. Bryan

Bryan Well-Known Member

Don't think you have to worry much.....

This years goal is to lay off the walleye and target them Bass. I've been looking over the AEM maps and key structure this winter more than ever due to the cold.

Hell might even bring out the foot pedal!

Gord, lake-fisher, Patty and 4 others like this.
  8. Mike B.

Way to go Rob.....way. To. Go. There's no Walleye there dammit. :)

Bryan, honestly, a great intro into Bass fishing would be a number of AEM Nopiming lakes. Or this one......but access and parking is an issue if you don't have an "in". You can pay to park at the lodge.....but that can really only support one truck/trailer, so it's hit n miss.

I love Walleye, even tho I seem to have the rep of not liking them on here, but Smallmouth are just so much fun, I can't get enough. So many ways to catch them, so many cool patterns to figure out...and uhh...topwater?!

Bring out that foot pedal. When the ice goes off and Walleye are still closed, I'll be catching (hopefully) some of the nicest fattest Bass of the year in my boat

That vid gets me excited...I'ma watch it again

robm and Bryan like this.
  9. Jneuf

Jneuf Well-Known Member

Might be a silly question, but is the Black Sturgeon River accessible via the Winnipeg River? I thought I heard at one point there was a boat lift at the rapids...but now I'm unsure.

10. Mike B.

There is, but I wouldnt use it if you value your boat as a keeper.

Jneuf likes this.
  11. Jneuf

Jneuf Well-Known Member

Ha! Noted. Buddy has a place on the Wpg River not too far from the rapids, so that would’ve been convenient.

Thanks for the heads up.

12. Bryan

Bryan Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong, I used to target bass lots. In the mid 80s I used to go to Shoe with a fly rod and a canoe in June for top water entertainment. Spent lots of time in Nopiming.

Just had a lot less time to devote to it and buying tackle due to "married with children", even went to a wheel boat. Its a lot easier and less frustrating fishing for walleye with young kids in the boat.

Generally speaking I'm reintroducing myself to all sorts of fishing.

craigm, lake-fisher, ribbie and 3 others like this.
  13. robm

robm Well-Known Member

I’ve got a buddy with a family cabin on the Winnipeg River as well, he comes into Black Sturgeon via the rollers a couple times a year in an old’ish rough’ish Outfitter (former camp boat). Would agree with mike though re: not taking a nice boat up the rollers, there’s a sign stating rollers are rated for 18’ max boat. You crank a big winch by hand, more tiring going up then coming down, pretty neat though.

craigm, Gord, Jneuf and 2 others like this.
  14. Mike B.

Variety is the spice of life!

I don't know how some guys only fish for Walleye...I jab Stearns about it a bit, but focusing on one species is how you get really good at that species, no doubt. Even the hardcore Bass guys, I wonder how they can be focused on one or two species...although i get it more for Bass, especially if you're a tournament addict. Bass tournies are so much fun and they are time consuming to prep for, for the bigger ones at least....so I get the need for focus if you do upwards of 4-5 Bass tournies a year.

I just kinda have my "seasonal tours" where I choose the species based on the peak of good fishing for them..mostly. Ice out, Prespawn Smallies, once they've spawned I go to Walleye typically late June. Once Lundmania is done I'm pretty bored of Walleye for the most part, so it's back to Bass for awhile, then Walleye and flip flop between the two til Sept, where it turns to all Bass and Crappie with a dabble at Lake Trout. Then it's time to put the boat away and kill time with a couple ice fishing trips and do it all over again.....although after last year, I think I'll get on the Smallies again in March while every donkey is raving about "March Madness" Greenbacks....which, in my opinion is a bunch of bullshit. Best time for Greenbacks is now, and started 3 weeks ago...after that it tapers off to gayness. :p

Over the years, I've learned that life is too short to seek out bites outside their prime windows....eve tho I like a challenge...I prefer to look back on my year and have a decent number of big fish pics and memories, rather than "oh yeah...I remember struggling out there that day.."

That being said, both my ice trips this year have been opposite of my advice above, and I've paid the price of 2 really tough days with awful results :rolleyes:

15. Bryan

Bryan Well-Known Member

So true, more enjoyable when you can share the enthusiasm.

IMG_5710.jpg

lake-fisher, Patty, Steve and 9 others like this.
  16. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

Awesome guys! Definitely renting a cabin out there this summer. we wanted to get out there last summer but ran out of time. Great release!

Gord, craigm and robm like this.
  17. ericcooley

ericcooley Well-Known Member

Couldn't wait any longer and picked up a complete catalogue chip tonight before me and the girlfriend went out for dinner. Plugged it into the hds9 when I got home, all I can say is wow...cannot believe how much more efficient these maps can make an angler.They've actually got me excited about icefishing a couple spots Now as well! Countless thanks goes out too the whole crew at AEM. Thanks guys!

Mike B., Tony, Ernie and 5 others like this.
  18. craigm

craigm Well-Known Member

Cheers @ericcooley ! Enjoy.

ericcooley and Gord like this.
  19. Green

Green Well-Known Member

Well... Instagram had an update

Patty, Tony and ericcooley like this.
  20. Gord

Gord Well-Known Member

??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk