1. Welcome to the Canadian Fishing Forum! If this is your first visit, please go ahead and sign-up to become a member! (Many threads and comments are visible only to Members who sign up with a VALID email address.) Do not hesitate to contribute and interact with fellow members.

Looking For Camper Tie-Down Brackets

Discussion in 'SOLD' started by Ernie, May 21, 2017.

1. Ernie

Ernie Administrator Staff Member

I'm looking to get a slide in camper for truck. The camper I'm looking at is missing the tie downs. Anyone have any for sale?

PhotoEditor-1495421313665.jpg PhotoEditor-1495421277692.jpg PhotoEditor-1495421253070.jpg

2. Ernie

SOLD

Made my own.

PhotoEditor-1495943657793.jpg PhotoEditor-1495943708708.jpg

3. PeteK

PeteK Well-Known Member

First thing I thought of when you originally posted that was, "Ernie will end up making his own" Good job!!

Gord, Tony, Ernie and 1 other person like this.
  4. Ernie

Thanks Pete. Now I just wish my truck was just a wee bit more heavy duty. I might have to get overload springs put on. Its hard to find a decent slide in camper with washroom that'll fit a heavy half.

Gord likes this.
  5. PeteK

PeteK Well-Known Member

A slide in was my original plan before I bought my Class "C",you need a 3/4 ton or bigger if you want a washroom.Dont forget you will be adding tongue weight from the boat as well,you should factor that into your overall weight.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
    Gord likes this.
  6. BIGGAMEFISHER

BIGGAMEFISHER Well-Known Member

Never been a fan of overload springs, for the last two trucks of mine I have installed the Firestone Ride Rite air bag system. First truck I had, I ran the airlines to a T fitting installed in the rear bumper and had to use a portable air compressor to pump up the bags to the correct ride height...........my current vehicle I have a compressor under hood and an air pressure controller under the dash.....it's a great system to control varying loads, huge difference in ride comfort over overload springs, IMO anyway. In your application (since it's a single load your concerned about), thinking the t fitting in the rear bumper would save you the added expense of the compressor and controller.

Gord likes this.
  7. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

I was going to say why don't you make your own Ernie as I've seen his capabilties and knew that's what he would end up doing as well. LOL.
    Do you have some pics or links of what you have set up BGF? I'm thinking of going the slide in route as well.

Gord likes this.
  8. Ernie

Well a newer bigger truck is way out of my budget range so I'm working with what I have. I've been mulling over three options to upgrade the suspension on what I have. There's the Timbren Suspension Booster, I almost went that route for the simplicity of it.
    There's the Airbag Suspension Booster/Ride Leveler. I was going to go that route. But for the amount of boost I need I think this system would put a bit to much stress on a single point on the frame and axle.
    The only other option I know of is to go with overload springs. These springs just sit there when not needed (they're not in contact with the frame at no load) and only come into play at a certain weight. And it distributes the weight across the two points where they're attached to the frame.
    As much as I'd like to go with the Airbag system, I believe it's not quite what I need for this application. No doubt about it, my next truck will have adjustable Airbags.

Gord likes this.
  9. BIGGAMEFISHER

I hear what you are saying and agree with the fact better to spread the weight over 2 points rather than one, however air bag systems on so many haulers it's not even funny!!! The digital controller keeps them inflated to what ever you set it at, needs to have at least 5 psi in them to prevent damage, when empty I keep them at 15 psi to keep the truck level with a leveling kit I have installed in the front, 30 psi to keep it level when I hook the boat up, been as high as 85 psi when hauling/towing shit......the stability they provide when loaded is amazing. Here are a few pics for you Tony.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 28, 2017
    Gord, Tony, Ernie and 1 other person like this.
  10. PeteK

PeteK Well-Known Member

Wonder if that set up would help with the sway and roll on my RV? I can see it helping too with a slide in,you would figure it would be a little top heavy in the wind.

11. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

So what does a system like that cost? I'm guessing about $1K. Worth it if you do lots of towing IMO.

12. Nova

Nova Active Member

I put air bags on my 04 Silverado (1/2 ton), haul a small import truck camper and tow my boat as well. They work great, but I'm in the market for a bigger truck and camper.

13. BIGGAMEFISHER

The bag kit and fittings to run to the bumper, $600....very easy to do it yourself. Bags, controller and compressor ran about $1200.......still very easy to do yourself.

Tony likes this.
  14. Gord

Gord Well-Known Member

Well I'm looking for a 3/4 ton and getting a Lance camper that has a slide out.. Not cheap but FAK it I'll sell my 2012 Venza and I just sold my F150 that was way too light to put a camper on. Great truck though I've been pining over the fact that I sold it.. 2005 w/only 73K on it.. Sold it for 500 less than I bought it 1 1/2 yrs ago..
    Looked at fifth wheel,motor homes and I feel that if I want a truck and eat my cake too I have to with a camper.. Truck first though and then down to the states to buy a camper.. My head is facked right now from deciciding which way to go but my wife set me straight and we are committed to the camper.. There I got it off my chest ..hehe

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  15. Gord

Gord Well-Known Member

Nice welds Ernie.. I miss my welder but my brother has a major steel shop at his home and I can use it when I want can you send me the specs of what you did Ernie I'd like to make my own also..

Ernie likes this.
  16. Greasy Pickel

Greasy Pickel Active Member

dont know what you mean about washroom adding alot of weight when i was truck driving some of the truckers just put a hole over the driveshaft and when they had to go the driveshaft spinning acted just like a manure spreader granted you would need someone to drive the truck for you

17. Gord

Gord Well-Known Member

Ewwwwwwwwwww

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Ernie

Tx Gord.
    Give me few days and I'll get you the specs. If I don't get back to you after a couple weeks send me a reminder. I got a lot on my plate ATM.

19. Gord

Gord Well-Known Member

No worries Absolutely no hurry..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017