1. Welcome to the Canadian Fishing Forum! If this is your first visit, please go ahead and sign-up to become a member! (Many threads and comments are visible only to Members who sign up with a VALID email address.) Do not hesitate to contribute and interact with fellow members.

Made some Walleye Cakes

Discussion in 'Share Your Fish Cooking Recipes.' started by ribbie, Dec 24, 2015.

1. ribbie

ribbie Well-Known Member

So with some inspiration from @FishinFreak I decided to give the cake thing a try. I tried a bit of a different recipe so I'll share what I ended up with. I didn't try the old bay out yet but I do have some.

Ended up using:

Batter:
    1 cup panko
    1 cup hand crushed saltines
    3 tbsp flour

Cakes:
    3 eaters rendered in a food processor
    1 carrot diced fine
    1 zucchini diced fine
    1/2 white onion diced fine
    2 garlic cloves
    1 tsp dry mustard
    1 tsp salt
    about a tsp fresh cracked black pepper
    Juice from half a lemon

I mixed the ingredients for the 'batter' in a separate bowl and set aside. I then made 6 solid patties by hand, about 3/4 of an inch thick and slightly bigger than my palm. Placed them on parchment paper on a tray while I made them and do not stacks them or you're gonna have a bad time. Once you have the patties just drop them into the batter to coat them and set them on a new piece of parchment. Once all six were done I pan fried them for about 7 minutes a side on medium high heat.

[​IMG]

They were really, really good. It's a bit of a hassle compared to the good old beer battered or standard pan fry but the eggs and veggies added a lot to them. Will be doing them again. Originally planned to serve them over parmesan risotto but I ran outta time last night.

Anyways, nothing ground breaking here, another cake recipe that was awesome. Going to give yours a try next time with the Old bay @FishinFreak

FishinFreak, lewbank, Andrew and 2 others like this.
  2. chrism

chrism Well-Known Member

I have made patties a few times - absolutely wicked!
    We tweaked the recipe and put them on a soft kaiser with avocado, creamy coleslaw, bit of cilantro, and a spicy mayo dressing -
    Anyone thaa hasnt tried walleye or pike patties - try it! Its a culinary treat!!!

FishinFreak, Andrew and kabel like this.
  3. ribbie

ribbie Well-Known Member

Chris that's a great idea. I've got a brioche bun recipe that would pair well with all that.

You ever make red slaw? Fell in love with that this summer... So good.

Russian Dressing Slaw : Bobby Flay : Food Network

FishinFreak likes this.
  4. WalleyeSlayer

WalleyeSlayer Well-Known Member

instead of the saltines, try with some crushed up Mrs. Vickie's salt and vinegar chips. AWESOME!!

ribbie likes this.
  5. ribbie

ribbie Well-Known Member

Will definitely give that a go. I sometimes use crushed up potato chips on the ice as 'breading' and just pan fry. Salt and Vinegar is my favorite for that.

6. WalleyeSlayer

WalleyeSlayer Well-Known Member

I like the thought of the zucchini in there. will add some nice flavour and moisture. Will be trying that too!

7. FishinFreak

FishinFreak Active Member

Hey, it's walleye or pike.....what could go bad with them.....not I thing, I'll venture.