1. Welcome to the Canadian Fishing Forum! If this is your first visit, please go ahead and sign-up to become a member! (Many threads and comments are visible only to Members who sign up with a VALID email address.) Do not hesitate to contribute and interact with fellow members.

Reverse seared steaks

Discussion in 'Share Your Fish Cooking Recipes.' started by gillflare, Feb 14, 2016.

1. gillflare

gillflare Well-Known Member

Tried this last night with a couple broiled 10oz lobster tails from Midland Foods on Nairn. It was a home run.

Take your room temperature ribeye steaks that have had a small drizzle of olive oil and good amount of seasoning rubbed into both sides and put them into the oven on bake at 275 degrees. when the centre of the meat reaches 125 degrees (25-40 minutes appx. leave meat thermometer in a steak facing you when putting in the over) remove them from the oven and let the steaks rest for 5-10 minutes while you are heating your cast iron pan up to 500 degrees. drop your steaks on and sear for 1-2 minutes on each side creating a nice crust on each side. Be prepared to turn on fan, crack windows, there will be smoke!
    No need to rest steaks again. slice and enjoy. Colour of meat is consistent throughout not layered as you are used to seeing and SUPER tender and juicy from this method. Might be some of the best steaks I've had and I'm a charcoal BBQ junkie.
    Robert Mondavie blended red should be enjoyed from the stage of removing steaks from the package until the Jets beat Edmonton in a shootout goal by Wheeler at midnight.

Patty, Ernie, Willie 5227 and 2 others like this.
  2. Diane

Diane Well-Known Member

Did this last night they are great, juicy and tender, great flavor.

gillflare likes this.
  3. gillflare

Destroying a cherry pie before you go to bed is optional.

Diane likes this.
  4. Diane

Diane Well-Known Member

Daughter came home and tried a piece of her dads steak Sunday night. Monday she came home with steaks and had me walk her through the steps and HMMMMMM all the way through eating. We had sugar free Panna Cotta (homemade) with sliced strawberrys.

5. gillflare

Cool, I read it online for the first time Saturday and went out and got the meat and tried it out. Lots of smoke to clear out of the house while cooking it but it was dang good. Glad it worked out for you guys.

6. Diane

Diane Well-Known Member

It works amazing on venison. Did a 10" long piece of deer back strap salt and pepper only seasonings. Just amazing the tender juicy meat great flavor. Thanks Gillflare.:bounce:

7. Hassett

Hassett Well-Known Member

I gave this a try tonight.
    Top sirloins had been marinating for two days. My wife likes hers rare, and only spent 15 minutes in the oven before hitting the cast iron. I let mine bake for 28 minutes and added some spices. These turned out better than expected, so juicy! The marinade flavour was locked in. I would recommend this method to anyone. Can't wait to try it on some venison! Thanks for the tip Gillflare.

Diane and gillflare like this.
  8. WalleyeSlayer

WalleyeSlayer Well-Known Member

your wife's steak sounds wonderful... I've heat treated steel for less time than your steak. Shame on you! Shame!

:)

Diane likes this.