1. Welcome to the Canadian Fishing Forum! If this is your first visit, please go ahead and sign-up to become a member! (Many threads and comments are visible only to Members who sign up with a VALID email address.) Do not hesitate to contribute and interact with fellow members.

Ultimate Canned Sucker Recipe

Discussion in 'Share Your Fish Cooking Recipes.' started by REEL SCREAMER, Nov 29, 2015.

1. REEL SCREAMER

REEL SCREAMER New Member

This isn't exactly the best time to post this recipe, but after canning 50 lbs a few days ago and seeing how well it turned out, I decided to anyway. Manitoba salmon will turn out being 100% boneless (bones turn to mush) Catching sucker in the spring can be an extremely fun outing, and when you can make delicious canned sucker which lasts 12 months+ it makes it something I look forward to every year. I've also done this recipe with Drum and Whitefish as well, which turned out fantastic. The ways I enjoy this recipe most is straight from the jar with a little sweet red chili sauce or mixed with mayo and veggies in a sandwich, or on crackers for a great appetizer.
    I buy the largest aluminum roasters from the dollar store and double them up.
    The way I fillet my sucker - I slab it, leave the tail attached to the fillet, flip it over, cut the ribs out and then skin it, so you end up with just back strap and tail.

-15 lbs fillets
    -3 cups canola oil
    -1 can diced tomatoes (800ml)
    -1.5 cups white vinegar
    -4 TBSP salt

• Combine the above ingredients (except fish) in a bowl.
    • Add 3/4 of mixture into a large roaster with your 15 lbs of fillets.
    • Place on BBQ or in oven on 350F.
    • Stir every 30 mins for 4 hours.
    • Add remaining 1/4 of mixture as fluid evaporates.
    * BBQ is preferred as you don't have to worry about any spillage and it also adds a great BBQ flavor to the fish. If done in oven leave it open slightly.

After 4 hours add:
    -4 cans tomato soup (250ml)
    -1 cup oil
    -2 cups vinegar
    Stir well and cook for 10 mins, stir again.

Pack into jars and process (boil) for 2 hours. Jars should be completely covered in water but this is not 100% necessary. Gently tighten lids.

Enjoy! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448839487.388900.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448839500.508728.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448839509.857182.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448839523.873784.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448839540.493432.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WalleyeSlayer, lewbank and Ernie like this.
  2. Ernie

Ernie Administrator Staff Member

I used to do that almost exactly the same way. I added one cup ketchup and/or tomato paste. Sometimes I added a few table spoons of real lemon.
    Makes for great sandwiches. Better then store bought canned salmon.

I never bothered taking out any bones at all. The vinegar takes care of them.

3. Garth

Garth Member

I know what I'll be doing this spring! Thanks for the recipe!

4. WalleyeSlayer

WalleyeSlayer Well-Known Member

Nice job! Will try that recipe too!