1. Welcome to the Canadian Fishing Forum! If this is your first visit, please go ahead and sign-up to become a member! (Many threads and comments are visible only to Members who sign up with a VALID email address.) Do not hesitate to contribute and interact with fellow members.

Can my reel handle more weight?

Discussion in 'Fishing Tips, Tricks, and Hacks' started by newangler, Apr 13, 2022.

1. newangler

newangler New Member

I purchased the Daiwa Procyon AL 3000D reel. I want to use it in combination with a Daiwa Ardito Travel spinning rod, but the only one that I can find is one that has a line weight of 6-15lbs. (medium power). My reel has a drag max of 22lbs.

My apologies if this is a dumb question, should I opt for a rod that has a higher line weight? There is an option for a rod that has a line weight of 8-17 lbs. (medium heavy). I might snag a pike, and I hear those can get pretty big, not sure how big, but I know they're in the lake I want to go fishing in.

2. Frank_NK28

Frank_NK28 Well-Known Member

With your drag set properly there are few freshwater fish in Canada that the combination of reel and medium rod you have available won't handle.

Ernie likes this.
  3. Gord

Gord Well-Known Member

Drag set is the number one.

Frank_NK28 likes this.
  4. Patty

Patty Well-Known Member

Drag??? Lol

remember kids, if you hear drag on a hookset, you didn’t set the hook!!!

Frank_NK28, Jneuf and Gord like this.
  5. Gord

Gord Well-Known Member

First thing I do is check it. I usually loosen it when I put them away.

Frank_NK28 likes this.
  6. Frank_NK28

I do the same. Its alot easier on the washers/discs.

7. Frank_NK28

My drags are always set where they won't slip on a hookset but I adjust them as needed if needed while fighting a fish.

8. Mike B.

Mike B. Well-Known Member

Everyone is different, and so is almost every technique, as far as how my drag is set.
    On my heavy cover casting setups, the drag is pretty clamped down. On my jerkbait rods, the drag is set perfectly when it ticks every time I snap it (the bait).

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Frank_NK28 likes this.
  9. Patty

Patty Well-Known Member

I see it lots, especially with rattlebaits, and a fair amount with jigs too… guy sets hook “zing” then looses fish and asks why, and I will explain why and they will tighten them up and start landing more fish…

I fish pretty heavy line wise, I don’t think I have a set up under 14lb on the ice or open water, most stuff is 20-30lb braid open water, with usually a 12-15lb mono leader (simply for a swivel and line twist)… With the drag locked down super tight, I have no issues crossing the eyes on anything that bites and not worry about snapping the leader on a hookset…

for whatever reason everyone around here seems to fish light, even with braid, when there is really no reason too for walleye pike bass cats etc… arguement for the panfish guys that light line is better… that said crappies don’t seem to mind 17lb nanofil lol

Frank_NK28, Jneuf and Gord like this.
  10. Frank_NK28

When I'm downrigging I set just enough that the reel stops allowing line to play out under pressure from the speed of the troll. That way when a fish hits I get a good hookset from the bite and anything but a really small fish can pull line once off the release.
    As for spinning I set according to the cover and conditions I am fishing in.

11. Mike B.

Mike B. Well-Known Member

Line choice, a lot of the time for me is about lure performance, rather than how hard I can set the hook without breaking off.

For example-- one of my go-to Crappie baits, I'd starve to death waiting for it to get to the fish on 17lb braid....

Another example-- by the time the line jumps from a bite on 30lb braid while fishing a Ned, the fish has already shit it out.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Frank_NK28 and Patty like this.
  12. lirwin4

lirwin4 Well-Known Member

I like to set my drag a tad on the lighter side and I don't horse it bringing in a fish. I prefer using a finer wire jig hook and stinger so hook flex and bending can be more of an issue. IMO, hook penetration with a thick wire hook, especially into the rock hard upper palate of a Walleye or in heavy current can also result in more dropped fish.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2022
    Gord and Ernie like this.