1. Welcome to the Canadian Fishing Forum! If this is your first visit, please go ahead and sign-up to become a member! (Many threads and comments are visible only to Members who sign up with a VALID email address.) Do not hesitate to contribute and interact with fellow members.

Abu Garcia Teams With Lowrance

Discussion in 'Fishing Tips, Tricks, and Hacks' started by Mike B., Mar 4, 2020.

1. Neil

Neil Well-Known Member

Heat it Kilroy, best reno I ever did and keeping it at 5 degrees when not working and 12 when working and you won't notice much at all on the wallet. Literally a game changer.

PeteK, KDueck, Mike B. and 4 others like this.
  2. chrism

chrism Well-Known Member

^^^ ditto. Best thing for someone that likes to tinker and such - REALLY makes winter blow by...

PeteK, Mike B., Kilroy and 1 other person like this.
  3. Mike B.

Mike B. Well-Known Member

Thanks Kilroy.

Not insulated, not heated...yet. It's a brand new build, so I've got some bigger fish to fry. #1 being grass seed.....then fence and deck....bathroom in the basement is also high on the list. Shelving in the garage is gonna be pretty soon actually. That's a must for our camping gear. Gotta get everything up off the floor. Looking forward to several Menards trips once life gets back to normal in N. America.

I do lots of tinkering with fishing stuff, so I have a spot for my fish room in the basement. Fishing gear and tackle is where I actually enjoy organization the most...work truck is a shambles

You can bet in the future I'll be consulting you guys on heating options for the garage, but first I gotta empty it out first!

Gotta say, looking forward to "normal stuff" is something I have to keep focusing on. So much for real doom and gloom. Nice to take one's head out of it, if only for a few moments.

Think I'm gonna finish my bottle of nice scotchy scotch tonight

PeteK, Gord and Jason7mm like this.
  4. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

@Mike B. as for heating, I recommend insulation. R20 in the walls and at least R40 in the ceiling. No matter what heating option you choose (except for woodstove maybe), you will never regret it!

5. glennie_rapala

glennie_rapala Well-Known Member

I've thought about heating my shop before, it'd sure be nice for any tinkering in the winter. What's given me pause is the aluminum roof as there are a couple of spots that leak in heavy rain. If I were confident I could seal and prevent any future leaks I'd go for insulating it in a heartbeat.

PeteK likes this.
  6. Choppers

Choppers Active Member

I believe to meet code in MB it is R50 insulation in attics right now at a minimum.

Dave likes this.
  7. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

Yes, but over your garage? About 12 years ago the building code was updated to put a fire barrier between an attached garage and your home. So depending how you do this, you can have different insulation values garage vs home.

Mike B. and Tony like this.
  8. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

Way more than 12 years ago. It was possibly updated again 12 years ago. 5/8 drywall on the wall or ceiling between the house and garage has been around for 25 plus years.

Dave and Mike B. like this.
  9. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

There is no code for garage insulation. In my opinion, if you only have 2x4 walls, there’s zero point in going to r50, r30-40 is lots. Even on houses with 2x6 walls we typically only blow in r40 in the garage, and these are million dollar houses.
    Fire code has now changed to 5/8 on house common wall and ceiling or 5/8 fire guard all the way up to the peak of the common wall passes as well. This has only been code for 15-20 years, prior to that 1/2” fire guard was all that is required.

PeteK, Patty and Mike B. like this.
  10. Mike B.

Garage is framed 2X6. I'll properly insulate, but I'm not going overkill as it just ends up being a waste of money.

I'm not one to half-ass things or even go bare minimum, but there is such a thing as over-doing it when building.

Some folks think they're doing excellent work by going "code +++" (my ex FIL's saying) but there's times when not doing what the professionals do, and "go beyond", you're actually gonna cause potential future problems...maybe not in insulation though.

Example-- on a staple for indoor 14-2, there's flares in the staple that keep the staple from pressing tight against the wire. Making that staple tight isn't a good idea. It's supposed to be loose, for one, so it doesn't short or crush the wire, and for two, so that in an event a screw is drilled thru the wall, the wire will move out of the way, rather than not giving way.

Steve likes this.
  11. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Add in I think the most r value you can get in a garage door might be r18, it used to be r12, that’s quite the area that you will lose heat in faster than any other area.

Bryan, PeteK and Mike B. like this.
  12. Patty

Patty Well-Known Member

Steve knows his itch lol

13. PeteK

PeteK Well-Known Member

Do at least the fence posts first before you seed, going to be a lot of mud to deal with from drilling the holes, and are you going to wheelbarrow the gravel to each hole? You want to put gravel under the deck before you build that too. Sounds like at least a tandem load of gravel to me, much easier to do by bobcat than wheelbarrow,just sayin...

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    Choppers, EYEhigh89, Mike B. and 3 others like this.
  14. PeteK

PeteK Well-Known Member

What about topsoil? 20151011_131235 (2).jpg

lewbank and Mike B. like this.
  15. Mike B.

What about my wallet? :laughing:

In an ideal financial situation I'd hire you to do it all Pete, no doubt, in a heartbeat. But in these effed up times of uncertainty, we have to watch our cash tighter than normal.

The deck is actually gonna be ground level decorative patio stones/tiles....the wifey's idea, but she sold me on it

The topsoil I'm good with wheelbarrowing by hand and rake...I actually kind of enjoy manual labor at times. Gives my brain a break and my body a reminder of when I used to hit the weights hard and how I should get back to it

PeteK likes this.
  16. PeteK

PeteK Well-Known Member

If you have all the material on site, couple of your buds helping,fence posts, gravel and topsoil can be done in a day easy,dont know how big your yard is but I'm assuming its in a development?

17. Mike B.

Ya, new development. I will definitely be in touch after the developer grades the property.

PeteK likes this.
  18. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

I am guessing you made a typo “Even with houses with 2 x 6 walls” arn’t all houses built in the last 20+ years have 2x6 walls?

19. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Sorry meant garages.
    But no not all. A few builders actually tried going with 2x4 walls with a layer of SM insulation on the outside. Could feel the house move with a big wind. Never saw it again. Can’t remember the street in island lakes.

Dave and PeteK like this.
  20. Patty

Patty Well-Known Member

probably asphalt sheathing under the SM too!!! Lol