1. Welcome to the Canadian Fishing Forum! If this is your first visit, please go ahead and sign-up to become a member! (Many threads and comments are visible only to Members who sign up with a VALID email address.) Do not hesitate to contribute and interact with fellow members.

Cleaning snot rockets...

Discussion in 'Fishing Tips, Tricks, and Hacks' started by fishdoctor, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Mike B.

Mike B. Well-Known Member

My buddy's cousin from the GTA/Great lakes is a seasoned Musky vet. He keeps the bigger Pike (like mid thirties where legal). Sometimes that's all that's around....very big seasonal movements of Great Lakes fish. Could be loaded off his dock in Spring with Walleyes then he won't see a one til next Spring...he also eats largies...bastard. But they're everywhere in his bay and a big one is 3lbs...so he eats 2 pounders...meh

For the Pike, he lays it on the belly, cuts the back strap, then fillets like a Walleye. So 3 pieces per fish...kinda neat.

They taste fine, but i don't keep them. Walleyes are just readily available, easy to clean and easier to deal with

2. chrism

chrism Well-Known Member

When they put that 75cm and over slot rule in up north, it sure made the cleaning chores a bit harder - but - as mentioned before, proper knives and a little training, a one piece fillet, 99% boneless, is easily do-able.

Slimchance likes this.
  3. Slimchance

Slimchance Active Member

I'm glad you said 99% boneless, I quite often find three little bones in one filet, and I don't know where they come from. The reason I know this is I had to bribe my daughter when she was young by saying I would pay her $1 per bone if she found any. She gets them everytime! (Maybe she saves them) I don't know if there are bones at the end of the y bones that I miss on the bigger ones?

KDueck, Frank_NK28 and Gord like this.
  4. chrism

chrism Well-Known Member

Slim, that's exactly the spot where these bones are - they follow the y bone, then they get real small but continue further back on same path to the tail. Sumbyotch to get them out. So 99% it is!

Frank_NK28, Slimchance and Gord like this.