1. Welcome to the Canadian Fishing Forum! If this is your first visit, please go ahead and sign-up to become a member! (Many threads and comments are visible only to Members who sign up with a VALID email address.) Do not hesitate to contribute and interact with fellow members.

StrikeMaster collar bolt

Discussion in 'Fishing Tips, Tricks, and Hacks' started by Cubdriver, Mar 29, 2021.

1. Cubdriver

Cubdriver Well-Known Member

9D7C6042-579C-4A19-AE9A-811254FA08B2.jpeg Hey guys I recently lost the collar bolt from my StrikeMaster flight. If anyone needs I Found them at peavey in there metric bins $1.49. See pic below shows the bolt #

Choppers, Andrew, FISHNUTS and 6 others like this.
  2. Jzak

Jzak Well-Known Member

Same goes for the Ion auger. Got them a lot cheaper than anywhere else. These are also the same style and size bolts for the livescope mount.

Ernie likes this.
  3. Patty

Patty Well-Known Member

Two wraps of electrical tape around that collar solves that problem too...

Frank_NK28, Inmate and Tony like this.
  4. Cubdriver

Yup I do that now but I find it comes loose allot especially on the long extension. They also had the 40mm version that bolt that I’m going to try with a second nut on the outside.

Frank_NK28, Inmate and Mike B. like this.
  5. chrism

chrism Well-Known Member

Cub - I did that with my ion - and used a locknut. I put tape over that, and no issues.

My Faux-pas was that I always grease the shaft so the flight doesn't seize - seems the lube made its way into the bolt, and it came loose

Check the 4-6 tiny bolts that hold the light in - I had those loosen up and pop out too.

Tony and Cubdriver like this.
  6. Phil P. (HWM)

Phil P. (HWM) Well-Known Member

now for all those guys who lost there threaded bolts in the flyte or collar..this happens to all augers..and the first thing i do to all my electric augers is change the threaded bolt to a solid pin..no threads this is the best..as i told them at there shows this is veryyy chezzie for any company to put a threded pin in the collar this is whwere all the stress is the going be ..back and forth and it starts to wear..and gets wet the treads get rusty and week..veryyy poor..

easy fix..drill out put in a sold pin and quick key..and you will never loose you flyte ..or break your bolt..ion is even worse they use a very small bolt..i drilled this one out 2 sizes bigger..

cheers

7. Patty

Patty Well-Known Member

Careful with pins, if they aren’t extremely close tolerances you’ll oblong the hole in the shaft of the auger, once this happens you’ll never keep anything tight... If they fit good they work great for guys who have to take down their augers lots...

Tony, Mike B. and theKraken like this.
  8. Phil P. (HWM)

The pin has to be tight. And machined. It’s great.

I refill holes over and over 1000 /year and today with reverse this is why the bolt is a bad choice. And threads. A grade a pin with no threads. Structure wise 50 % stronger then a bolt.

yes it has to be tight. No reason why this can’t be machined from factory.

9. Cubdriver

It is definitely a bad design. I agree the pin is a good way to go..if it’s a close tolerance fit. Nothing worse than a wobbly connection and as mentioned will wear the hole over time.

10. Jneuf

Jneuf Well-Known Member

Stihl used a retaining pin on their augers. The shaft was also splined so that even without the pin you couldn't rotate the flight on the shaft. Very slick design, but would definitely add more to the manufacturing cost.

Tony likes this.
  11. Phil P. (HWM)

Also there is a common lossing of the flyte down the hole. More with ion but 3 this winter. From the small bolt breaking and they all recovered there flytes with a magnet.

Eskimo makes a Teflon collar/do-nut around its light flyte (pistol but ). Great option it’s like 1/2 in bigger then flyte. If the flyte comes off it stays above the ice.

cheers

12. Patty

Patty Well-Known Member

I laugh when guys have pins shoved in the bolt holes and wonder why everything sloppy lol... if your gonna do that drill the threads out to fit whatever pin your gonna use or your gonna have issues...

never had an issue using bolts and that’s drilling 125-150 holes a day when guiding all winter... put em in tight, wrap of tape or two, tape comes off when the extension goes on, then retape and go...

Cam, Frank_NK28, Cubdriver and 2 others like this.
  13. Phil P. (HWM)

i have never seen a gas run auger break the bolt the bottom shoe i have ripped a couple off..but i dont think you have seen the electric auger pins break they are very small bolts ..the ion pin i might use it wrist watch lol...

now when i say i get a pin maid ..it from my 80 year old blacksmith who can make anything you can imagine but strong..not chezzie..so i dont mean grab a bolt of the shelf on let it rip..

these are tips for you dont loose your flyte down the hole with the ( electric augers ) it not if but when it happens the bolt will break ..its a poor design

cheers

14. Mike B.

Mike B. Well-Known Member

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Phil....this is a family show. You can't go talking about getting "pin maids" and "letting er rip" .......save the locker room talk for the locker room.

:p:smile:

Patty and Phil P. (HWM) like this.
  15. Phil P. (HWM)

wellllllll...i can tell you a story ( my ex ) use to laugh and laugh..when boys talk fishing and we were talking pike..and the big girls slamming the big baits..etc..well i will stop but when you look back at some texts it can sure be funny...:D:D