1. Welcome to the Canadian Fishing Forum! If this is your first visit, please go ahead and sign-up to become a member! (Many threads and comments are visible only to Members who sign up with a VALID email address.) Do not hesitate to contribute and interact with fellow members.

Trolling Rod?

Discussion in 'Fishing Tips, Tricks, and Hacks' started by manitoba450es, Apr 20, 2021.

1. Frank_NK28

Frank_NK28 Well-Known Member

2. manitoba450es

manitoba450es Well-Known Member

Ahhhh! What size and what reel lol. So many choices.
    Thanks for the heads up. Prolly place an order tonight

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

3. Frank_NK28

If you are planning to pull deeper diver, large dipsy's, ever want to pull leadcore etc I'd recommend a 9'M to MH. I don't know the how the Cabelas rods load or hold up but the Shimano's I have are 9' M's and I can pull magnum size dipsy's at speeds to 3mph w/o issue and get baits down to 50'. If the fish are deeper than that I just go to the downriggers.

Last edited: May 8, 2021
    manitoba450es likes this.
  4. manitoba450es

Picked this up today. Thanks everyone for the input. I've tried a few rods at the store today. I really liked the depth master kokanee but it was way too whippie. It would be nice for pulling rapala original floaters or husky jerks. This one here I think will work perfect for shad raps, reef runners, spoons with 3 oz banana weights in front, and maybe just maybe dipsy's. [​IMG][​IMG]

5. Frank_NK28

Nice setup! Congratulations on your purchase. It will likely be a bit light for the larger dipseys but ok for the mini size or smaller sizes with the built in release if you remove the outer ring to run shallower. Those smaller ones with 20lb line should get you down as deep as 25' or so pretty easily without having to let out a mile of line. If you buy some dipseys and they don't have the included chart for line size, line out for a given depth etc message me and I'll photograph the ones I have and send them to you so have a reference.

manitoba450es likes this.
  6. Frank_NK28

These are the mini's. They don't have a line release on the back to the lure like the large dipsy's do. The weight of the fish simply pulls them straight so they stop diving. These are great for shallower applications to 20'-25' or so and for lighter hitting fish like walleye and for lighter rated rods. They should work perfectly on your setup with the baits you intend to run as long as you don't pair them with deep diving long lip crankbaits. I don't know if you have run dipsy's before but on the bottom of them you will see in the picture a counter weight with a screw. You loosen that screw and set the counter weight to whichever side you want the dipsy to pull to if you need more spread to separate lines or want to get them away from the boat a bit to cover a wider area or get to fish moving away from the shadow of the boat as it passes over. All the settings are on a folding paper chart that usually comes with the unit in the package. If the mini's don't come with it as I said message me or go on the Luhr Jensen website and copy one off. I keep a copy in the boat and in my tackle box as I usually cannot recall all the information for speed, line distance out, line diameter or weight, speed etc for the different depths so having a reference is handy. 64272147422__E28E2E53-1746-44D7-8030-C7A72383599F.jpg IMG_5555.jpg IMG_5556.jpg

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  7. manitoba450es

Great info! Thanks!

Frank_NK28 likes this.
  8. Mike B.

Mike B. Well-Known Member

Dipsy divers are a fantastic solution if you dont warrant down riggers

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Frank_NK28 likes this.
  9. Frank_NK28

Yes they are!! When fish are running in the top 40' of water they will perform every bit as well as running downriggers and can save alot of time in getting reset and back onto a hot bite.

10. Mike B.

Mike B. Well-Known Member

I've ran Dipsys down to 78 feet.

If you wanna run a crank though, I find Dipsys aren't ideal on a magnum

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Frank_NK28 likes this.