1. Welcome to the Canadian Fishing Forum! If this is your first visit, please go ahead and sign-up to become a member! (Many threads and comments are visible only to Members who sign up with a VALID email address.) Do not hesitate to contribute and interact with fellow members.

Xi5 control repair

Discussion in 'Fishing Tips, Tricks, and Hacks' started by Cubdriver, May 10, 2020.

1. ribbie

ribbie Well-Known Member

Thanks I'll check into arrival mode... figured it was setting I missed.

Do you have any routine with your NMEA network or do you just flip it on once you're in the water. It's tied to my accessory rocker so it's not hard to toggle but I really hope it was a location thing. I had good signal on point 1 the whole day... do you have your bow units using point 1 or the built in gps? I have not tweaked anything on the bow unit... but not sure it really matters since both units complained in unison.

2. craigm

craigm Well-Known Member

Well, with direct wiring my sonars this year my routine may change (TBD). So I'll tell you what I used to do. I used to switch on the master power switch (which would start powering the nmea network), and then power up my sonars. After getting to my spot, I would deploy my xi5.

I have my stern unit using the Point-1, but my bow unit uses the internal GPS. I don't think it would matter in this case though....your xi5 is going to use its internal GPS for all its functionality.

ribbie and Gord like this.
  3. ribbie

ribbie Well-Known Member

Ah right... Ok wasn't sure if it was even an option to use anything but internal. I am pretty sure I followed the same routine allowing the NMEA network to wake up before I turned the graphs on. It's a new to me unit and new network so there's a bit of learning involved. I will hopefully get out again this weekend at some point to play with it a bit. I didn't even lay a route down last week just simply went way point to way point. If the routes work half as good as I think they will I'm in for a real treat if I ever get to musky fish this year lol

4. craigm

craigm Well-Known Member

There is a learning curve for sure....I was an early adopter of the xi5, and I think it took me 2 years to really start to use the unit to its full capability. One of those “you don’t even know what you don’t know” situations.

5. ribbie

ribbie Well-Known Member

Okay my second session went a lot better out there. I used routes a majority of the day and was able to easily change the arrival mode as suggested so thank you!

I only had one alarm error and it was when I had my heading lock set by remote. The motor was off but I guess auto heading was still on when I pulled the motor up and it got angry. It's going to take some getting used to with the routes.... not having to think about where I'm going. I was getting buy using the auto heading and tap adjusting with my foot to steer for the last few years. I think I'm going to be pretty route focused moving forward.

craigm likes this.
  6. Dwyton

Dwyton Active Member

I’ve been trying to wrap my head around a fix that would still keep the remote somewhat water proof and these are both great ideas! Thanks!

ribbie and Cubdriver like this.