1. Welcome to the Canadian Fishing Forum! If this is your first visit, please go ahead and sign-up to become a member! (Many threads and comments are visible only to Members who sign up with a VALID email address.) Do not hesitate to contribute and interact with fellow members.

AEM for mobile!!!

Discussion in 'Paid advertising Text Ads. Dealers and Retailers' started by craigm, Feb 9, 2021.

1. craigm

craigm Well-Known Member

Frank_NK28, Tony, Andrew and 28 others like this.
  2. Gord

Gord Well-Known Member

Woohoo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

craigm likes this.
  3. Jneuf

Jneuf Well-Known Member

Congrats, gentlemen. This is a big deal!!

Mike B., ribbie, craigm and 2 others like this.
  4. Hassett

Hassett Well-Known Member

Sign me up!

craigm and Gord like this.
  5. canadian.ice

canadian.ice Well-Known Member

Very cool. Will be sweeeet to search and look on the smartphone. Screen time going up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike B., craigm and Gord like this.
  6. HosStyle

HosStyle Well-Known Member

Will there be an option to buy all maps? Or all of LK Wpg?

craigm likes this.
  7. Jzak

Jzak Well-Known Member

When you download the app, and set up an account, you can buy part of a body of water or all of it.

My question is whether or not there is going to be a list of all the options, with the prices, so we can browse and choose what makes sense to buy. In the app, it's kind of confusing trying to see all the possible options.

craigm likes this.
  8. Jzak

Jzak Well-Known Member

9. craigm

craigm Well-Known Member

It is set up so that you can pick and choose the maps you want. The download size for someone to purchase all the AEM maps at once would be massive, so it is unlikely that we will be pursuing that.

For most large bodies of water, we are offering our maps in sectional tiles. For people that only fish a certain area of the body of water, this may be attractive. We have broken down our Lake Winnipeg south basin coverage into 8 high-res sectional tiles (e.g. Balsam Bay, Winnipeg Beach, Gimli). There is also a free low-resolution overview available.

For people that fish all over , there is also a Lake Winnipeg south basin bundle available. It contains all 8 high-res sections plus the free-low resolution overview. I suspect this is what most anglers will be interested in.
    https://www.avenzamaps.com/maps/1234095/lake-winnipeg-south-basin-bundle?link=5579

Mike B., Gord, Jzak and 2 others like this.
  10. craigm

craigm Well-Known Member

Yeah, lots of maps and with us offering both sections of larger lakes and bundles for those lakes there are a lot of options to navigate among. We are working on a list of lakes with links to the appropriate Avenza hosted map...that will be hosted on our website soon.

Mike B., Gord, Jzak and 4 others like this.
  11. glennie_rapala

glennie_rapala Well-Known Member

Avenza is a robust and functional app. The maps look great on the high res displays on mobile devices.

Gord and Patty like this.
  12. Patty

Patty Well-Known Member

I will second this!!!

Gord and glennie_rapala like this.
  13. Green

Green Well-Known Member

Search function works pretty good on the app . Just need to type in lake name , instead of browsing through entire catalog

Gord and KDueck like this.
  14. washing hooks

washing hooks Well-Known Member

Very nice aem guys. Congratulations

Gord likes this.
  15. KDueck

KDueck Well-Known Member

Oh oh...Did the Lowrance guys just lose a major advantage on some tournament waters? :kissingheart::grinning:
    This is great! Looking forward to exploring some new waters this year. :thumbsup:

Patty likes this.
  16. Patty

Patty Well-Known Member

Better maps will for sure help the other guys!!!

17. Jzak

Jzak Well-Known Member

You mean the ones with Livescopes and not the guys sitting next to their PO Box hoping that their new AT ducers will arrive before the tournament begins!!!

craigm, Gord and Jason7mm like this.
  18. Mike B.

Mike B. Well-Known Member

There will be guys using the app, without a Lowrance plotter for sure, but, for the most part, I would think after using and then loving AEM on their phones, the more serious guys will likely want a bigger screen and get (in some cases 'hide') a Lowrance in the boat.

For most of us, that have long ago fallen n love with AEM on our Lowrance plotters, this convenience of having the maps on our phones and tablets, it is a compliment to the plotter, rather than a replacement.

IMO, I think the Garmin ice guys (with no birds or Lowrance plotters) should be the ones most excited. Now they've got good mapping without buying another brand of plotter, to accent their sonar.

My previous "AEM app" on the couch was taking my HDS-7 and connecting a flasher battery. I never found it awful, but obviously a tablet and/or phone is far more convenient.

A few days ago, I downloaded 7 Sisters Bundle. We were at a cabin all week. It was minus 42. I didn't want to travel far or trailer at all. I wanted a spot walking distance from the cabin door. Browsed map at the kitchen table on my phone, chose spot off the app/map. Drilled 3 holes off my phone that I picked inside where it was warm, for the double hub tent (didn't even hook up the Lowrance to the sled dash) ....caught fish.

There is absolutely no doubt, this helps prefish planning (or prior to 'fun fishing').....sending screen shots to partners back and forth in private messages.....scouting at home.....one thing for sure as well, as having done this for years, but only having Nav Webapp on the phone to send screenshots back and forth------using the exact same map to do this is gigantic-----lining up a Navoinics screenshot on the water, with a premium, HD true to life map such as AEM causes delays at times....having the identical look on your phone to plotter is a very big deal when doing prefish planning.

Freaking awesome job @craigm , @robm and anyone involved in making this happen with Avenza! Brilliant!

craigm, Harpz, EYEhigh89 and 4 others like this.
  19. theKraken

theKraken Well-Known Member

I see a lot of tablet mounts going into boats not running lowrance units. It's a pretty good option depending on where you fish really, the top biggest Ipad Pro is a 12.9" display and is $1499 for 128gb and wifi +cellular. I'm not sure what you'd pay a month for a service package but if you were in the market for mapping only and needed a tablet its a pretty good way to go actually

Nisha and KDueck like this.
  20. robm

robm Well-Known Member

As long as you download the maps while on wifi, you can use the maps while offline (ie using no cellular data) with any GPS-enabled tablet. I’ve done that with *other maps* on my gps-enabled IPad Mini.

Mike B., Patty, Gord and 1 other person like this.