1. Welcome to the Canadian Fishing Forum! If this is your first visit, please go ahead and sign-up to become a member! (Many threads and comments are visible only to Members who sign up with a VALID email address.) Do not hesitate to contribute and interact with fellow members.

Line vs rod help

Discussion in 'New Member? Come Introduce Yourself. Say Hello...' started by Chip_39, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Chip_39

Chip_39 New Member

Hey everyone, I'm in the market for a new set up but am a little confused by what line I can use with which rod. I'm pretty much set on a fenwick 6'6 HMG but the rod says it's only rated for 14lbs. Would I be able to use 20lbs braid so long as I set the drag appropriately? Rod will be paired with a pflueger president xt 35x and I will be going after 85% pike, 15% other (walleye, maybe perch but unlikely). Any help is appreciated. Looking forward to learning from everyone!

2. Patty

Patty Well-Known Member

Welcome!

You will be fine running 20lb braid on that set-up... personally I don’t pay too much attention to the line weight of my set ups, I’m more concerned with power and action...

Mike B., Gord, Chip_39 and 2 others like this.
  3. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

I use 20# PP on my Fenwick HMX medium light and it works fine. I set my drag with the rod loaded up to the point where the drag releases and am comfortable that the rod is not bent too much. I have tested (tortured) mine with big Carp and big Drum and have not broken one yet. And before I get any Drum or Carp comments, I got my PB SM 20.25” yesterday:grinning:

Rikmon, Gord, Frank_NK28 and 4 others like this.
  4. Chip_39

Chip_39 New Member

Thanks for the help. Went with the fenwick HMG and pflueger president xt 35x. Put 20# spiderwire on and can't wait to get out there. Now if only it would stop storming...

Frank_NK28, Gord, Dave and 1 other person like this.
  5. Patty

Patty Well-Known Member

That set up should do you well!!!

Gord likes this.