1. Welcome to the Canadian Fishing Forum! If this is your first visit, please go ahead and sign-up to become a member! (Many threads and comments are visible only to Members who sign up with a VALID email address.) Do not hesitate to contribute and interact with fellow members.

2017 AEM Content Preview

Discussion in 'Paid advertising Text Ads. Dealers and Retailers' started by robm, Nov 10, 2016.

1. ribbie

ribbie Well-Known Member

Can't wait to get AEM with the shoal map so I can chase some Manitoba Muskies :mask:

robm, Patty, Mike B. and 1 other person like this.
  2. Gord

Gord Well-Known Member

Never caught any Muskies in that neck of the woods. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Jackfish

Jackfish Well-Known Member

Has their been any consideration in mapping some lakes in the western side of the province, perhaps in the Ducks or Riding Mountain?

Or am I just experiencing another pipe dream? :eek:

Patty and ribbie like this.
  4. Mike B.

Mike B. Well-Known Member

Googan :D

ribbie likes this.
  5. Cheebers

Cheebers Well-Known Member

... as do the Hookers.

AEM is for Lowrance users only. Get rid of your Humminbird before you get all excited Spoon.

Tony, Patty and ericcooley like this.
  6. Mike B.

Tony-- the story of my buddy getting shot at was in Bald Indian Bay LOTW (east side)....was many years ago. One bad apple kind of scenario...that's all I know

I've had a few semi-negative experiences with Shoal 40, like attempted shake downs for launch money....but mostly, they seem like a good bunch of people that want anglers to frequent the area (they hold two Bass tournaments). I've always gotten a friendly wave in return when I wave to locals.

The unmarked/poorly marked nets from this past season are/were way southeast in the Whitefish bay area Lake of the Woods.

Rocks....well, it's LOTW....just something you need to get used to if you want to be a fisherman of the north country where there is no AEM coverage.....

Don't let these things scare you off from Woods. It is in my opinion, the most interesting lake, rich in history and hosts, arguably, the best fishing for pretty much every species we could want to fish for. Super diverse body of water....from large expanses of marsh rich in Crappie habitat, to Lake Trout water over 200'.

If you love Walleyes, and I think you do, you want to fish Woods.

Obviously, I love fishing AEM water, and the maps have inspired me to fish water I wouldn't necessarily fish otherwise, because the maps make us as anglers so much more effective, but Woods remains a staple to me in the boating months, and somewhat in hardwater as well. Fishing Woods tho today, not covered by AEM, will REALLY make you appreciate the efficiency and accuracy of their maps.

There is never a guarantee that any GPS map will keep your skeg and prop untouched and out of harm's way....but let's face it---am I more confident to throttle up and navigate on plane looking at AEM vs other maps.....? Of course. I have launched on water I have zero previous knowledge of, and giver straight to potential fishing spots feeling very comfortable and confident.

The thought of surveying Woods......my head is spinning at the thought! I wouldn't know where to start....prob start in Rat Portage--most traffic and you'd get a lot of buy-in from Spring Musky anglers as that area is awesome for post spawn Musky. Great Walleye fishing there too

7. craigm

craigm Well-Known Member

Not a pipe dream....but unfortunately we won’t be releasing any content out west for this year.

Tony, Patty, Gord and 2 others like this.
  8. Gord

Gord Well-Known Member

@Mike B. Where is Shoal 40. Pretty sure Clytie Bay is free launch. Holmstren used to charge $10.00 was what I paid long time ago.

9. Mike B.

Shoal Lake 40 is the band on Shoal.

10. Gord

Gord Well-Known Member

Ah. I only fish the AEM areas actually the last 20 yrs or so when I went to my buddies cabin and was boat less the for most of them. Never saw any nets but like I said we didn’t go that far north shore had plenty of good fishing.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  11. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

Thanks for clearing that up @Mike B. I knew I remembered reading it and also about the shakedown at the launch.

I absolutely love fishing AEM water. I hit 3 new to me bodies of water this past summer, only 1 being AEM water unfortunately. We went out to Pinawa twice and Otter Falls once with total confidence. We also hit LOTW and PF both late in the season. Next year I'm planning on booking a cabin for at least a weekend on Black Sturgeon, (AEM water), can't wait. We are also probably going to rent a cabin on LOTW for a week next year as I want to learn that body of water more. My big problem with trying new water all the time is sometimes the fish are few and far between. Sometimes it's just easier to go to lakes I know a little bit and have had some success. I know if the rest, or at least the portion I'm thinking of, gets mapped on LDB, we will be heading there more than we already do. Can't wait for the release!

Mike B., Gord and Patty like this.
  12. Mike B.

Tony, my advice about Woods is to break it up into sections, treating each section like it's own lake. Learn em one by one and eventually you'll have A-spots in each area.

If you're in the northern section and Walleye fishing, there's always the Manitou to get easy limits.....fish new water, find new spots...if your catch rate is suffering, giver to the Manitou and salvage the day. Easy peezy. Always Walleye there. You'll just have to contend with other boats, but the area is so big that holds fish, it's not hard to find your own pod of eaters.

Hidden Trails Resort on Black Sturgeon is a quaint little place with their own "ramp" (you'll need 4X4). Not much public access to BS otherwise.

As much as I love Woods and still fish there quite a bit.....it's just not nearly as enjoyable as fishing AEM water.....vague inaccurate mapping is frustrating to deal with after getting spoiled by Angler's Edge. I used to think Navionics was incredible....still glad it exists as an option....but a boy can dream of bigger better things.

Dave, Patty, Tony and 1 other person like this.
  13. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tips on Woods Mike.

A coworker's friend's parents owns Hidden Trail and that's where I was planning on staying. My coworker fishes there a fair amount, he lives it there. He's done the bass tourney the last 2 years with the owner's son.

Mike B., Patty and Gord like this.
  14. Gord

Gord Well-Known Member

My buddy has a cabin at Beauty Bay. I used to go there just to golf but this year I tried fishing there and it was decent. Lots of sweets spots can be had by AEM maps. Which is what I did and it was s blast.

Tony and Mike B. like this.
  15. Mike B.

Get me an *in* to that tournament :D

Gord and Tony like this.
  16. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

I asked him about it this past summer. All he said is I don't know if I can get you in, it's kind've an invite only deal or something like that. I'll work on him over the winter for you Mike. ;)

Gord likes this.
  17. Gord

Gord Well-Known Member

No ringers

Green and Tony like this.
  18. Gord

Gord Well-Known Member

Tony when you go there next yr maybe we can hook up. My buddy says can go there anytime.
    My brother in law also has a cabin on lower Black Sturgeon which I plan on fishing also. That section is Navionics I believe.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  19. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

Sounds like a plan. Can do a guys weekend and my wife can stay home, lol.

20. Gord

Gord Well-Known Member

Loool