1. Welcome to the Canadian Fishing Forum! If this is your first visit, please go ahead and sign-up to become a member! (Many threads and comments are visible only to Members who sign up with a VALID email address.) Do not hesitate to contribute and interact with fellow members.

2017 AEM Content Preview

Discussion in 'Paid advertising Text Ads. Dealers and Retailers' started by robm, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Mike B.

Mike B. Well-Known Member

I'd be underdog here by far.

Josh Peacock has a place on BS I believe.....he's one of many ringers if he does this one.

I did it once wayyyyyyyy back. Very fun tourney. And yes Tony, it's an invite only deal, made for locals.

Tony likes this.
  2. craigm

craigm Well-Known Member

Typically held on same weekend as Bassin For Bucks IIRC, so Josh does not usually fish the BS tournament.

But yes, lots of good anglers in it that put up big weights.

Mike B. likes this.
  3. Inmate

Inmate Well-Known Member

I saw you posted and thought maybe an early AEM Christmas present.....

Maybe even if you told us what previous aem lakes got touch ups will keep the vultures at bay for a week.....

Mike B., Patty, Tony and 2 others like this.
  4. craigm

craigm Well-Known Member

Ok, that sounds like a decent compromise @Inmate . Touch-ups were conducted on Nutimik, Dorothy, and Natalie Lake....we have essentially improved data collection methods since our initial surveys for these lakes were conducted....and we are perfectionists. Also worth noting that we were actually able to survey sturgeon falls....low flows made that possible. Not really a fishing location (actually very dangerous most of the time)....but like I said, we are perfectionists.

EYEhigh89, lake-fisher, Dave and 8 others like this.
  5. Gord

Gord Well-Known Member

I think a release around Dec 1 would be perfect. It’s also when I’ll back home.
    Going to look for Basspro store while I’m down here and drool on stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike B. likes this.
  6. Mike B.

Perfectionists with big balls apparently. Even in low flows that's sketchy to maneuver a tinner around in.....risking life and limb for your customers.....also, you're a true confident river rat.....with big rat-balls. :laughing:

On a side note of Sturgeon Falls....I saw the vid Darryl Keszler took with his phone as Alex took him thru the middle of the falls.....I was sweating just watching it...you could hear Darryl in the vid saying "This is nuts!!" while laughing. That kinda stuff makes me nervous af....a river rat I am not...nor do I have huge rat-balls, but having the Falls on AEM, I'd shoot those falls for the first time ever running them myself. Gone thru a few times with friends running the boat, but never myself.

robm, lirwin4, Gord and 1 other person like this.
  7. lirwin4

lirwin4 Well-Known Member

Many years ago, after watching several other boats go up Sturgeon Falls I decided to try it. I was in a 14' tinner with a 7.5 HP Merc. The white water portion of the falls was about a 5' rise. At WOT, I barely made it. If there was another person in the boat I don't think I would have. It took most of the day fishing on top to build up the courage to come back down again. I started off with about 3/4 throttle. When I saw the big white wall of water in front of me, I put one hand on the gunnel to hang on. One good bounce and I was in the clear. Never again in a small boat! The things we do when young and stupid!

Mike B., craigm, Tony and 2 others like this.
  8. Bryan

Bryan Well-Known Member

Its easier (less risky) to go up, then to come down.

I go thru daily in the open water season

Gord and Mike B. like this.
  9. robm

robm Well-Known Member

Those Pro Guides will go through anything though!

:sob:

PeteK and Mike B. like this.
  10. ribbie

ribbie Well-Known Member

Ive only ever seen it done from shore and it makes me pucker up haha. Plan is to spend some time on Numao and up by the power station this summer with my AEM in hand. From the looks of it though the safest path seems to be very close to the south shore.

Mike B. likes this.
  11. PeteK

PeteK Well-Known Member

Keep to the left going down and you will be fine,was in someone else's boat years ago and he tagged a rock going straight,skeg was gone and 2 blades of the prop too.

12. craigm

craigm Well-Known Member

I never felt like it was risky on that particular day.....and don't think I have big rat balls lol.....reality is many of the AEM crew have a lot of experience on the Winnipeg River, and indeed on waters that are much more dicey as a function of gradient but also remoteness.... Especially with the fisheries work a lot of us have done, the desire to complete a job sometimes takes you out of your comfort zone, and I have got in the mindset that there is a legitimate chance capsizing every day I am on the water (surveying, fisheries work, or fishing). I have never capsized a boat (knock wood), but I always wear a life jacket when working in rivers. A tether is a good idea also. On the day I surveyed Sturgeon Falls , I happened to run into @Bryan fishing just downstream.....figured if I swamped he could probably pull me out (or at least recover my boat and motor and get a fair price for it ;)).

So that day was pleasant....but I just want to stress that anglers with no experience need to be very cautious of sturgeon falls...... I helped pull a guy out of the water after he capsized in early spring many years ago.....there is basically no escaping the suction below Sturgeon Falls when flows are moderate-high.....you will go round and round unless someone in a boat can pull you out. A fair number of people have died there, essentially from cold water exposure. Tons have people have wrecked skegs, props and lower ends.....it is not one to attempt based on a map (even a good map).....go up and down a few times with someone who has experience.

A few more Sturgeon Falls stories:

I had a pedestal seat rip out of a rotten floor after hitting the wall of water that occurs when flows are really high....caused me to let up throttle ever so briefly, than trying to get my balance and hold onto the 40 tiller of that boat which had too much weight in it for the conditions and BARELY being able to maintain forward progress (much like @lirwin4 s experience I think).....that was scary.

Another time my old man and I wanted to get into Numao when flows were crazy high, and only having a 14' with a 20, we decided to by-pass it via the rumored "over-flowing creek"....driving through a flooded forest essentially.....have looked at that area several times since (both wet and dry) and just have to give my head a shake. That was plain dumb, and in most years I'm sure we would have been dead....boat capsized and us pinned against trees. Winnipeg River is a powerful river, and deserves much respect.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    Gord, Jason7mm, Patty and 6 others like this.
  13. Bryan

Bryan Well-Known Member

I've been fortunate not to have to ever rescue anyone but have come upon several in progress. I will add that coming down the current tends to swing your boat and if you are not careful it will pile you up on the rocks on either side of the "shoot". Seen one lodged on the rock this year. I have on occasion ticked the rocks coming down.

I am never completely confident and am always very careful. I still cringe in areas and some years I don't even bother to go upstream.

Gord, craigm and ribbie like this.
  14. Mike B.

Very good advice. And good butt-covering :thumbsup1:

In all seriousness tho, that is a deadly stretch of angry river, and should not be attempted based on a map (no matter how good and accurate) alone. Boating experience or lack of, will trump anything in that situation.

Flooded forest ehhhhh ...gotta be some good sized Pikes pinned to those trees! Gotta be!!!

Gord, Jackfish, Patty and 3 others like this.
  15. ribbie

ribbie Well-Known Member

Very good points.... Okay so maybe in 2019 I'll get to Numao... or follow along with some more experienced anglers to get an idea of what to expect. The power of water is unbelievable and current is and absolutely should be respected at all times.

I'll bumper boat it up at pte for a bit instead just really want to get into dino chasing between openers and musky season

Tony likes this.
  16. Bryan

Bryan Well-Known Member

@ribbie, it's doable most of the time.
    if you plan to go pm me and if I'm around I'll take you through.
    I'm hearing rumours of Slave to Sturgeon in 2018 ;) that will help out once you're on the high side.

Gord, Mike B., PeteK and 3 others like this.
  17. Green

Green Well-Known Member

I heard point to eagles nest ;) ..

18. Bryan

Bryan Well-Known Member

As much as I would like that, I hope not, selfish of me but spots like that should be left on paper.

19. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

Wasn't it about 3 years ago when a guy took his wife and 2 young kids through the falls in a canoe:confused: If I remember right, DJ and his wife rescued them.

Gord, Patty and Bryan like this.
  20. Green

Green Well-Known Member

Didn’t actually hear that ... but if they’re gonna map one guys “spot” they may aswell do them all(if they want) the more that’s mapped for me the more confident I feel about having a successful day on the water.
    That’s just one area I would love to visit