1. Welcome to the Canadian Fishing Forum! If this is your first visit, please go ahead and sign-up to become a member! (Many threads and comments are visible only to Members who sign up with a VALID email address.) Do not hesitate to contribute and interact with fellow members.

2018 AEM Content Preview

Discussion in 'Paid advertising Text Ads. Dealers and Retailers' started by robm, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Patty

Patty Well-Known Member

According to my source who's got a cabin in Flanders, the 10hp thing is a provincial regulation...

Mike B., Tony, Jason7mm and 1 other person like this.
  2. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

Who would one have to contact to find out if this is actually true or not?

Gord likes this.
  3. Gord

Gord Well-Known Member

Just thinking that myself..

4. Mike B.

Mike B. Well-Known Member

Local DNR should be able to confirm.

My info was 2nd hand from a cottage owner on Booster.....I dunno who to believe. Best off to hear the letter of the law from the law.

Tony and Gord like this.
  5. Gord

Gord Well-Known Member

I have a call into fisheries and the woman in charge is not there right now.
    Stay tuned..

6. Green

Green Well-Known Member

Have to call the lac du bonnet office

1-204-345-1400

Gord likes this.
  7. Gord

Gord Well-Known Member

Ok ty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Mike B.

Well, guess I'll put "Mike's -Don't Make Me Fish For Cats-" Guide Service on the backburner for another couple years....dang.

:)

In all seriousness, I'd way sooner fish the Red for Greenbacks if the Red was AEM mapped. It would make finding those Cat hideouts easier too.

I'm waiting for something very specific that Rob surveyed, as well as another water body to be perfected. For the purpose of catching those easy peezy invasive Bass that I'm gonna eat! ;)

I'm really looking forward to full release from AEM.

Patty, Jason7mm, Gord and 1 other person like this.
  9. robm

robm Well-Known Member

@Mike B. your new favourite lake was not a solo surveying job - team effort on that one. We definitely have to release that one last now and make you squirm while you hold it in...

Patty, Gord, Bryan and 2 others like this.
  10. Mike B.

Good, don't release it to the public :D

Nice surveying team, that's a good one. Been waiting on that chunk o water for awhile (patiently I might add) :wink:

I'm sure there's gonna be some water that will surprise me too....like Christmas morning! AEM is the best thing that's happened to fishing around here in a longggg time! No guff, as Mr. Shockey would say.

Patty, Gord and Gotaf7 like this.
  11. Gord

Gord Well-Known Member

I called she explained and it was vague. Lol. I asked her to send me an email in regards to what the actual agreement says. She mentioned it was the cottage association that wanted it and that the DNR is backing them.
    That being said I don’t want to go out there and bomb down the lake with my 75 Merc. I would just like to be able to cruise down the lake and fish it. I think a speed limit and instead of a horse power limit would be more suitable.

Mike B., Patty and Tony like this.
  12. Jason7mm

Jason7mm Well-Known Member

thanks Gord. keep us posted if you get the email

there are a lot of boats with unknown hp as the stickers are missing or 9.9hp outboards that for some strange reason are as big as a 25hp :smirk:

i did a slow troll years ago and figured anywhere between 30 - 40 % of the outboards are over 10hp (at the time i was working at such a place that gave me the experience to make that judgement lol). and some of these people are on the cottage owners association. its a little clicky out there...

Mike B., Patty, Tony and 1 other person like this.
  13. Gotaf7

Gotaf7 Well-Known Member

The old change the decal trick, I used to have a 2003 F7 with a F5 hood on it....turned a few heads when I lined up with them.

Patty and Gord like this.
  14. Jason7mm

I bet... but they couldn't tell just from the sound? how many times did you blow yours up??

Gord likes this.
  15. Gord

Gord Well-Known Member

For sure @Jason7mm I don’t want to stir up the pot here by any means. It kinda restricts others from fishing there. I never ever considered going there and it would be nice to try it.
    Guess if I had a kicker it would the trick.

16. Jason7mm

Yep... its restricted us from having larger boats and even deterred folks from buying there - family friend loved it up there and would have bought a place but just couldn't do it knowing the restriction.

when i had my tinner with the 20 on the back, i got a couple looks just from having it in the driveway, used it at bird and booster a couple times.

Gord likes this.
  17. Gord

Gord Well-Known Member

Haha it would be pretty hard to disguise a 75 hp. Lol

18. Gotaf7

Gotaf7 Well-Known Member

Never blew it up I bought it half through the year after they got the mapping figured out, put 6000 miles on it and traded it in on a 06 F7 which was no where near as fast as the 03.

Gord likes this.
  19. Jason7mm

i was gonna say.. the 03 was a rocket... when they stayed together. my buddy had an 06 F6 and it was a fun sled for sure

Gord likes this.
  20. robm

robm Well-Known Member

I/we (AEM) totally understand the whole cottagers wanting the lake to themselves thing, Craig and I are technically cottagers ourselves now (family cottage). That mentality is definitely not unique to Flanders, but the HP restriction is obviously. Whether it’s officially enforceable by law or not, and whether there are Flanders cottagers in violation of their own regs or not - sneakily with 9.9hp decals or not - we hope that any AEM users respect the regs.

Tidbit worth mentioning - last summer when we (I) first took a crack at surveying Flanders, I had motor issues immediately after launching, got about 4 cottages down the shoreline before it died and I ended up floating in front of a few cottages close to shore. I had the hood off he motor and was troubleshooting for only a couple minutes before a guy comes down to the dock I had floated in front of, coffee mug in hand (this is 8AM) to see if I need help, offers me a tow back to the launch and I obliged. Fires up his 9.9 on his 20’ pontoon boat, ties my timber on and we’re off (actually). Super friendly guy, we chatted a bit and when he asked where my fishing gear was I explained what I was there doing (surveying) - not sure if he really understood, but In no way did I get the impression that he didn’t want me on his lake. So this is all to say, the locals don’t have a problem with day trippers who abide by their regs, at least not all of them!

Mike B., Gotaf7, Inmate and 3 others like this.