1. Welcome to the Canadian Fishing Forum! If this is your first visit, please go ahead and sign-up to become a member! (Many threads and comments are visible only to Members who sign up with a VALID email address.) Do not hesitate to contribute and interact with fellow members.

2018 AEM Content Preview

Discussion in 'Paid advertising Text Ads. Dealers and Retailers' started by robm, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Mike B.

Mike B. Well-Known Member

It's super convenient to run my HDS-12 on my lap on the couch, powered with a spare flasher battery, but it would be nice to also have the option of sitting in front of the old PC and clicking around browsing AEM maps.

Tony, Gord, Jason7mm and 1 other person like this.
  2. Patty

Patty Well-Known Member

I sit in the truck lol

@Inmate "I would back those up"

@Patty "meh I don't need waypoints anymore"

Mike B., Tony, robm and 4 others like this.
  3. Gord

Gord Well-Known Member

Well they are bolted to your dash so.......

Patty likes this.
  4. Patty

Patty Well-Known Member

The more I look at Lac du, the more I realize I've been missing out!!! Wow!!!

Tony, Jason7mm, Mike B. and 2 others like this.
  5. Bryan

Bryan Well-Known Member

I was out that way, closer to McCarther than conditions normally allow. Had the AEM chip in my Lowrance and all I can say is it's a new beginning.

Look out boat season,

My buddy who has a cabin on an Island out there is not happy. The reefs and shallow water was keeping the day trippers and boat traffic to a minimum. He's worried now that things may change. I said it's all good, not that big a sacrifice to have good maps. I'm interested to see if indeed there is an increase.

Patty, Tony, Jason7mm and 1 other person like this.
  6. craigm

craigm Well-Known Member

I'm almost certain the McArthur area will get more pressure now....but it probably won't be a dramatic increase. Because AEM is only compatible with Lowrance, ~90% of anglers in this province won't have access.

Gord, Cubdriver, Tony and 4 others like this.
  7. Bryan

Bryan Well-Known Member

@craigm

By my comments I'm certainly not making it a negative by any means, all positive. I worded my buddies comments incorrectly.
    The compatibility thing is large and and exactly what I said to him. He's not overly concerned it was more of a positive towards the power of the AEM and how it was a game changer.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    Gord, Tony and Patty like this.
  8. craigm

craigm Well-Known Member

No worries @Bryan . Even if your buddy thinks it is a net positive, there are certainly some people that feel otherwise and would rather AEM did not exist (I could tell you some shit that would raise eyebrows). It is what it is.

Gord, Tony, ericcooley and 3 others like this.
  9. Mike B.

My personal opinion on the increased pressure, due to AEM coverage--- some lakes will definitely see some increased pressure from a certain demographic:
    A) Lowrance users
    B) The more serious angler that likes to explore new water as well

In the case of LDB- it's already very very popular and loaded with anglers.....will an extra, what.....15 boats per season be noticeable? I don't think so. I think where AEM comes into play on LDB is that it will more directly affect where anglers that already fish it, fish it.....your "secret spot" isn't a secret.....that's where the seasoned vets of specific water kinda get miffed about coverage of the water they already know....which I understand completely, but....well...deal with it I guess. This is the age and era we're in. We wanted, as a group, to have more coverage. We got it, in spades! So...beggers can't be choosers as far as I'm concerned.

If you talk and listen to Craig and Rob about the story of the origin of AEM as a business vs. personal project, the points being discussed here were all carefully considered, prior to making a business of it. I've talked with Craig on the topic exrensively, prior to becoming Pro Staff. As soon as he told me what they (Angler's Edge Mapping) were about, I was totally sold on their morals as a "good corporate citizen" in the angling world...both, in regards to 'meat hogs' and sport angling. On that note--meathogs are out of the picture instantly---typically, they don't invest in good plotters, and they, again, typically, couldn't pattern their prey to save their lives anyhow...they will just anchor up off your bow in their pontoon boat. (Not a shot at pontoon owners) ..I'm just talking about more serious sport anglers vs. very casual fishermen, in general terms and 'profiling'/marketing

As coverage expands, the fishing pressure debate lessons..in my/our opinion anyhow.

Gord, Tony, EYEhigh89 and 2 others like this.
  10. Mike B.

One demographic that really pays attention to coverage......enough to buy Lowrance without a second thought, is tournament anglers. It literally has huge potential to decide whether or not that angler cashes a cheque. Fact.

Gord, EYEhigh89, Little Spoon and 2 others like this.
  11. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

Fuck you already know where all the big ones hang out. Are you doing Coppermine this year? Might change my decision, lol.

Gord likes this.
  12. Patty

Patty Well-Known Member

Doubtful, I probably should though... heard rumour that it's going to be a 2 day event next year as well!!!

Tony likes this.
  13. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

Well if they turn it into a 2 day I'll get some more experience first. ;)

14. Patty

Patty Well-Known Member

I think a 2 day on Lac du would be a ton of fun!!!

Tony and Gord like this.
  15. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

I agree but I'm only up for embarrassing myself in 1 day tournies at the moment. LOL.

16. Little Spoon

Little Spoon Well-Known Member

No such thing as embarassing yourself in a tournament you are out there learning!!

Mike B., Patty and Tony like this.
  17. Inmate

Inmate Well-Known Member

Might want to be in 1 or 2 before you spout tournament wisdom ;)

Mike B., Coward, Patty and 1 other person like this.
  18. Patty

Patty Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be too worried man, spoon makes a point... Tournaments are all about learning and the experience, your just seeing how you stack up against the rest of the field... doesn't matter if you weigh the winning bag or weigh a zero, if winning is all that matters to you then I would shy away from them... I've won one event, on water that I was pretty comfortable on, and other than that I've never had a finish higher than 11th, and I've been at the bottom of the list on water that I know I could've done better on... But I've never been embarrassed, disappointed and full of coulda woulda shoulda, fuck yeah I've been there!!!

Bryan, Mike B., lake-fisher and 2 others like this.
  19. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

It's definitely not about the winning part, lol. I just don't want to make a fool of myself.

Patty and Gord like this.
  20. Mike B.

Wise words. No shit about that. Been there too.

Tony....tsk tsk....I mean..I get it... before I did a tournament I thought the same way. It's misguided insecurity that leads to that thought process.

Go out and go fishin'! If you don't catch 'em, learn from it (you will if you let yourself), do better next time...or don't...but the rest of the field is never thinking "what a goof, didn't even get a top ten"...never. Tournament fishing is humbling, even to the best.

I've done the absolute shits where I was dissapointed, and I've done well, where I was happy with how we/I did...but I've never gotten a W. It's something I work toward...like an electrician getting to top rate and not getting zapped in 2 years...same shit. It's fun, exciting and real. Get better every year...it's like golf...go whack the ball around and have fun with the boys, or sign up for a club derby and try to perfect your short game.....either way, if you want to make a go of being competitive, it takes a long time. Not too many guys that can sign up for their first 3 tournies ever and cash checks. It's a life-long ambition for most! Enjoy the pursuit of getting better, and fuck em if they can't take a joke!

Bryan, Patty and Tony like this.