1. Welcome to the Canadian Fishing Forum! If this is your first visit, please go ahead and sign-up to become a member! (Many threads and comments are visible only to Members who sign up with a VALID email address.) Do not hesitate to contribute and interact with fellow members.

Burbot

Discussion in 'Fishing Tips, Tricks, and Hacks' started by Frank_NK28, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Frank_NK28

Frank_NK28 Well-Known Member

Burbot, mariah, ling, eelpout or whatever they go by in your neck of the woods who here targets them and what areas do you seek them out? I'm used to catching them in lake trout lakes primarily on sandy flats next to rock humps, boulders etc but there are a couple lakes here that are primarily shallow lakes with average depths around 13ft and a couple deep holes in the 30-42ft range with little structure. I am curious about locating them in these lakes to try to get on some in march. The buggers are easy peasy to clean, have no bones outside of the normal spine and rib cage and are fantastic eating.
    Last year I caught one jigging a 1.5 ounce 5 1/2" tube jig in 93 fow in Cold Lake while targeting lake trout. Now that was a surprise catch getting one that deep. Normally I find them in the 30-40ft range!

2. Patty

Patty Well-Known Member

@chrism @Cam @Dave all have lots of burbot experience!!!

They start to spawn mid to late March, so reefs and gravelly areas are where I’d look...

Frank_NK28 likes this.
  3. theKraken

theKraken Well-Known Member

4. chrism

chrism Well-Known Member

Find a 15ft gravel flat next to a steep drop and chances are there will be burbot nearby
    Early to mid March south of 53rd, and usually a week or two later north of 53rd is usually pretty close to their spawning times.
    My experience is the monster pike frequent the spawning grounds, so keep that in mind.
    No reason to go past 15-20 ft in spring - the major numbers are shallower

Frank_NK28 likes this.
  5. Frank_NK28

Frank_NK28 Well-Known Member

Very interesting! Thanks Chris!!

6. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    Bullhead, Andrew, Inmate and 4 others like this.