1. Welcome to the Canadian Fishing Forum! If this is your first visit, please go ahead and sign-up to become a member! (Many threads and comments are visible only to Members who sign up with a VALID email address.) Do not hesitate to contribute and interact with fellow members.

Has anyone ever used 'Velveeta cheese' as fish bait?

Discussion in 'Fishing Tips, Tricks, and Hacks' started by newangler, Jan 19, 2022.

1. newangler

newangler New Member

I've only been fishing three or four times in my entire life. When I was 15, I was fishing with some friends and we weren't getting anything. There was a couple of older gentlemen nearby who were pulling fish out of the water like it was going out of style. Naturally, we were quizzical over what we were witnessing, so we approached them and asked what they were doing to be so successful. They said to us, and I quote "velveeta cheese with a bit of garlic powder, and some flour mixed in." We went and got some, tried it out, but to no avail. We didn't catch any fish.

Were we had? Or does this method actually work. I was 15 when this happened, I'm now 31, and reflecting back on it I'm inclined to lean on the former.

2. FISHNUTS

FISHNUTS Well-Known Member

When they are REALLY biting a cigarette butt with WD-40 sprayed can work too. :)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
    Mike B. likes this.
  3. newangler

newangler New Member

I'll take this as we got had.. Thanks

4. FISHNUTS

FISHNUTS Well-Known Member

Yeah most likely. They were probably using it but of course the fish may have been biting on anything at the time. The Velveeta cheese was a new one for me, heard many of ones like that over the years. :)

Best to have some kind of bait on the hook for the most part.

Your post did give me a good chuckle. I grew up with many old timers that would try all sorts of things for bait.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
    Mike B. likes this.
  5. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

I think that the velveeta is plausible if you were fishing for stocked trout. Some times for these trout there is nothing better than orange trout paste, some paste it also garlic flavoured.

Thane and craigm like this.
  6. Thane

Thane Well-Known Member

As Dave mentioned the cheese and garlic isn't much different than orange trout paste . People catch rainbows on corn which isn't even animal protein like cheese. I haven't personally tried cheese but caught brookies on spinners tipped with raw bacon when a bare spinner would result in follows.

craigm likes this.
  7. Frank_NK28

Frank_NK28 Well-Known Member

A friend of mine uses it for stocked trout. He buries a pair of treble hooks spaced 2' apart in a ball of velveeta and sets the bottom hook on bottom and the other one is then a couple feet off bottom. He catches some decent trout in the same lake I fish for stocked trout. Last winter at first ice he caught a 4lb and 6lb Brook Trout first day out!

newangler likes this.
  8. Harpz

Harpz Well-Known Member

Never but it makes killer smoked queso

Frank_NK28 likes this.
  9. newangler

newangler New Member

So we weren't had? Those old guys really were trying to help us kids pull some fish from the pond?

I'm not exaggerating, these guys were pulling fish after fish out of the water using this bait. Then again, we had no knowledge of how to fish whatsoever and were using these very basic garbage rod & reel combos from Walmart..

Edit: your friend wasn't from the Camrose area, was he?

10. Frank_NK28

No he is from Lloydminster. No they were not pulling your leg either. When my mother was a kid she grew up in Wawa, Ont and had access to some of the best brook trout fishing available in Ontario in the early 50's. She often told a story of a family outing one day where they caught 66 Brook Trout on the Michipicoten River using pieces of cheddar cheese on a hook as they floated the river.

newangler likes this.
  11. newangler

newangler New Member

Good to know, thanks for sharing this. I take it trout like the taste/smell of cheese?

Frank_NK28 likes this.
  12. Frank_NK28

I would assume so since there are folks that use it for bait. Never tried it myself. I cleaned a Rainbow the other day that had corn in it's stomach. I guess someone was chumming with corn. I recall a fisheries manager I used to shoot skeet with years ago telling me trout couldn't digest corn? I assume they can't digest plastics either as I've caught fish with plastic baits in them that looked like they had been in there a long time.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022