1. Welcome to the Canadian Fishing Forum! If this is your first visit, please go ahead and sign-up to become a member! (Many threads and comments are visible only to Members who sign up with a VALID email address.) Do not hesitate to contribute and interact with fellow members.

Our Forum is Growing to Fast...

Discussion in 'Canadian Fishing Forum News' started by Ernie, Jan 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hildy99

hildy99 Active Member

I've asked a couple questions here now and like the info I've gotten. I'm pretty new to the fishing world and I've learned a lot just reading the posts from the very experienced guys here and that info is much appreciated. Just saying if there was a probation period here where I had a post a certain number of times to see all the forums or had to "get accepted" to join and see everything I probably would have just moved on. I think the people acting like and idiot and posting stupid crap (we all know the type of post I'm talking about) will do a lot more harm to a forum than if there's lots of people with little or no posts just reading and leaning.

Travis

clawj, Black Rhino and Ernie like this.
  2. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

You know as this forum grows I'm starting to see more people coming on here talking about a clique. They said it was on MFF as well and the "clique" didn't help anyone outside of it. If you want to call a group of guys that enjoy fishing and make friends with certain members on the forum, because they enjoy the similarities of that member so be it. I don't see it like that. I saw some members on MFF get special treatment and maybe they were part of the "clique", I don't know for sure. There were some members on MFF that I thought came across as dicks that I know were part of the so called clique. Those same members are here and to be honest I haven't see them be dicks here yet because they have no reason to be. There aren't members on here asking for locations and how do I access this, and how do I get there questions. There are legitimate questions being asked by experienced anglers and non-experienced anglers (I fall into the latter) and they are all getting answered. What I don't know about fishing, I know about other things being posted and offer my opinions there instead, while I learn from the other threads. When I came here there were a lot of those so called "clique" members. You know what I found out? Most of the ones I thought were dicks aren't. I asked questions and they got answered. I felt welcome here albeit even with my lack of experience. Who know maybe it's because they accepted me as part of their "clique" or maybe it's because I came here and have shown respect and have recieved respect back. Once again I believe it's the latter.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
    lirwin4, ribbie, abousetta and 15 others like this.
  3. Greasy Pickel

Greasy Pickel Active Member

I ask the question because whenever I was a member of a club or organization there was a motto or objective in joining a reason to join and to say if you need to post to contribute that is fair but I have been noticing that as soon as this post started there has been posts that have nothing to do with fishing only posting for the sake of posting so it looks as contributing. I want to read about other peoples experiences pertaining to fishing and the lifestyle not the midnight sex life of a carrot worm. I have a disability so its is harder for me to go out fishing everyday and post about it this keeps me in touch with other fisher people. Yes I agree to make this a good forum we all need to contribute but should we ban everyone from the library except authors? I would like to see more meet and greet like a fishing tournament for members only, as a social media I think it should remain public maybe renew your membership every six months

4. Mike B.

Mike B. Well-Known Member

Brad- this is no place for taunting anyone into an internet battle. I think we're both beyond that, so let's move on like adults.

I agree with you on the subject of Crappie crash 2.0. Nothing we can do, damage is done. Hopefully it teaches certain folks that you can trust some folks, and some you can't.....hence why I think cliques are actually a positive thing. Call a clique a group of friends you trust and respect....I don't see anything negative about that at all. I think it's just good common sense.

I spose I should respond to parts of your post that sound like they're directed at me-- I won't take credit for the initial demise of mff, although there's a group that likely think it's nicer there without me. I'll let y'all be the judge of that.

At any rate, the general aura of this place is positive, do what you like, but I'd rather keep it that way, so I won't entertain any past grudges. Treat it like you treated FishSnobs. We're grownups here, just as we were there.

I'm sure there's a bunch of respectful guys here interested in stocked Trout that could benefit from your positive experiences.

Thane, Tony, lake-fisher and 6 others like this.
  5. PoBoy

PoBoy Member Banned

We are off topic... I agree, lets be civil and leave the crap where it belongs... on MFF!!! Hopefully, others can do the same... Not sure why people see my post as taunting, but I do see on here where people are referring to me in less than nice ways... aka Thane et al... Nice to see Ernie maintaining an open mind on this front. I have no interest in stirring the pot, but am always ready to defend my position... I agree, this place seems to be on the right tack.

Funny thing is I don't get to fish the stocked trout as much as I would like since relocating my camp to LOTW 5 yrs ago... still got lots to learn there, but last year things started to come together on a few more species. I can retire anytime after next December and then I will have the time to get er done!!!

Tony likes this.
  6. RippingLips

RippingLips New Member

Also like to say great forum. Have been able to read and gain some great knowledge and would like to try and contribute more. Just more new to fishing and haven't wanted to say the wrong thing. Either way thanks Ernie for putting the time in and I'm open to either way you go.

Ernie likes this.
  7. abousetta

abousetta Active Member

Thanks Brad. It's important to remind ourselves that CFF isn't the first forum/ internet group and surely won't be the last. We need to learn from our mistakes as contributors and admin/ mods. So far, so good is how CFF is shaping up. Will it be around in 1, 5 or 10 years... only time will tell. Compared to other forums I've been on, so far people are generally behaved and discussion around controversial issues (e.g. political threads) are been disallowed.

On the other hand, I don't see that many fishing reports and so little to respond to, criticize or applaud. It seems that the don't ask, don't tell silent rule is well followed and people don't report nor show any pictures that can be commented on. I've seen enough people taken to the cleaners for the 'wrong hold' or 'not releasing' or 'not releasing fast enough' or... or... or... I know a guy who hammers big fish like it's no one's business but doesn't post or talk about it on forums or Facebook. Been there... done that... Burned... Never again...

At the same time, people here have no problem sharing techniques, background info, and general experience. More about techniques and styles than actually showing their catches. That's great because there is less to fight over and more to gain. Hopefully we don't get into a Ford vs. Dodge or Lowrance vs. Humminbird argument, but so far so good. I think when it comes to supporting other fishermen with info on equipment, where to buy, what to buy, how to tweak, etc. This forum is gearing up to be a great place to share information.

PoBoy likes this.
  8. abousetta

abousetta Active Member

Ernie, it's your house. Maybe a mission statement would be helpful. That way people can go back to it and see if their contributions fit with this or not. If not, then they can decide how to best to contribute towards it.

9. Thane

Thane Well-Known Member

Hi Brad. I haven't mentioned your name on CFF actually. Are you saying the shoe fits? Ernie is a good fair guy and will do what ever is right to keep the forum a nice place to visit.

10. Greasy Pickel

Greasy Pickel Active Member

maybe I got defensive but I joined to read other peoples fishing stories and read about fishing and when I read keep it tight nit keep the riff raff out it came across as people like me. I will shut up now and keep lurking not stirring

11. Cam

Cam Well-Known Member

The " clique" thing... Is exactly how you described it. This is a smaller, tight knit community compared to other states. Most guys know and fish with a few guys as a group. Some are tourney partners, co workers or just close friends.

Tony likes this.
  12. Cam

Cam Well-Known Member

The " clique" thing... Is exactly how you described it. This is a smaller, tight knit community compared to other states. Most guys know and fish with a few guys as a group. Some are tourney partners, co workers or just close friends.

13. KJN

KJN New Member

I don't really have any new thoughts, but I'll throw in my 2 cents as I'm definitely in the category of lurker and I also value this forum.

I used to be a less responsible angler, throwing out p-rigs and just hoping that whatever I caught wouldn't be gut hooked. I was never careless with regulations, just uneducated as to what I could be doing better. A couple years ago I decided to take fishing more seriously, invest in good gear and learn some better techniques. I also discovered MFF (and eventually CFF). I admit I submitted some "googan-esque" posts when earlier on, but I like to think that I've learned what kind of posts lead to respectful quality discussion. I want to thank the few contributors over there (most of whom moved over here) who PM'd me over time with tips.

Since then, I've learned more than I ever thought I would about fishing. I appreciate the patience members have shown to the less technical questions I sometimes ask, and as a result I have the confidence to explore new bodies of water and have a realistic expectation of catching something. I've never had as much success and enjoyment fishing as I do now, and I'm happy to know how to approach different bodies of water and fish populations in a sustainable beyond-the-basics way.

I tend not to post because I feel like I don't have much to contribute compared to the wealth of knowledge here, plus I hardly ever have the time to get out on multi-day trips, which mostly limits my fishing to the most posted about locations.

I'm fine with the invite only idea, but I would like there to be an avenue for people who do not personally know anglers on the inside of CFF to get in (some sort of application). I'm not a big fan of requirements on the number of posts members make. I think that would lead to more low-quality posts just to keep up one's numbers. I am in favour of close monitoring of individuals who submit low quality or trolling posts.

That's what is in my brain.

Kyle

Harpz, Miss Tesla, ribbie and 2 others like this.
  14. chrism

chrism Well-Known Member

Well, I hope Ernie doesn't jump on guys that just want to read - IMO thats not riffraff, you are simply reading.
    I think (hope) the whole message in all of this is how to keep the shitstorm created by shit disturber from ever happening - as it has on every other board.
    The issues I have seen that are harmful to these boards are:
    1) are useless (disrespectful) comments directed at someone
    2) comments made to antagonize or raise blood pressure of others
    3) destructive criticism instead of constructive criticism
    4) immaturity (not chronological age) with regard to dealing with others

That sums it up (i hope!!!) Hope anyone that breaks the above gets punted immediately. Ernie is level headed and mature, so i am sure he will do whats best. So no worries Greasy - i think we are all safe if we play nice regardless of post count or whatever. Everyone has something to offer at one time or another.

lirwin4, Fishermang, AWall and 13 others like this.
  15. Patty

Patty Well-Known Member

Your 4 points are bang on @chrism!!!

Fishermang likes this.
  16. PoBoy

PoBoy Member Banned

I am not going to get sucked in by you or anyone else that has trouble with the truth...

17. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

Agreed and there is nothing wrong with that. I wouldn't really call it a clique though. Maybe it's beacuse that word on MFF and in most places in general comes off as being bad. I don't really see a clique here. I see people just like you said, friends, coworkers. I do feel like I belong here and feel welcome even though I've never fished with anyone on here. I've met a couple so far but haven't fished with any yet.

18. Cam

Cam Well-Known Member

There is a mod that goes by BB as well on mff. Just saying.

19. PoBoy

PoBoy Member Banned

give it up... can we move on now?

20. Andrew

Andrew Well-Known Member

Yeah I assumed @Thane meant the mod, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.