1. Welcome to the Canadian Fishing Forum! If this is your first visit, please go ahead and sign-up to become a member! (Many threads and comments are visible only to Members who sign up with a VALID email address.) Do not hesitate to contribute and interact with fellow members.

Permanently Deleting Data From Your Fish Finder

Discussion in 'Fishing Tips, Tricks, and Hacks' started by Ernie, May 29, 2019.

1. Ernie

Ernie Administrator Staff Member

Fish finder tip...

Some of us like to use our 'fish finders' like they were meant to be used. One of those uses is marking waypoints. Lots and lots of waypoints.
    Waypoints for rocks. Waypoints for structure. Waypoints for fish marked on the sonar. Waypoints for fish caught. Waypoints for launches, meeting points, drop-offs, holes, shelves... The list goes on...
    IMO if you're not saving at least 20-30 waypoints in an afternoon of fishing you're not utilizing that feature enough.

I clean up my waypoints every now then. Like waypoints you'll not need again or the water body changed.

Deleting waypoints doesn't remove the waypoint from your unit. It just doesn't display on the unit anymore. You need to purge the unit to permanatly remove deleted data from the unit.

Once per season I back-up all my data to a removable chip, purge the unit, then I copy my backup files back onto the unit. It doesn't take more the 5 minutes. This not only frees up a lot of memory, I find it also tends to speed up screen redraw.

At the absolute least you should delete AND purge your data before you sell your unit. If you dont, the buyer gets free waypoints!

Gord, craigm, fishdoctor and 8 others like this.
  2. fishdoctor

fishdoctor Well-Known Member

I'm curious, does this apply to both Lowrance and HB? I must admit, I've gotten a little behind on sorting my waypoints the last couple years. What sort of software does everybody use to sort their's? I've found the HB software kind of clunky in past. I played a bit with Google earth and I'm pretty sure it can be used to view the data but of course there's some playing around with converting files and I doubt I'll be able to maintain icons for the way points.

3. chrism

chrism Well-Known Member

Dating myself with the lowrance program, but i did use Map-Create to move waypoints and such around - my basemap is from that program, and it does what you ask. Very old, old program not made anymore. I am not sure what the equiv PC program is now. The Lowrance gurus here will know what the options are.
    Bird uses AutoChart PC with ZL card - can do what you want with waypoints.

fishdoctor likes this.
  4. fishdoctor

yeah...Autochart....Can't bring myself to go there and shell out more cash. I'm still running the old DrDepth stuff which is a bit of a shit show at times but allows me to use a tablet or cell phone as my main independent chart on the boat or on the ice. Haven't jumped into the Lowrance pool yet. I've been tempted just to get a unit for displaying charts on the side but now I'm holding off for the panoptics live image system to sort it'self out between Garmin and Lowrance.

5. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

I have Auto Chart Pro that I would sell for a reasonable amount. No Zerolines card though as I sold that.

6. Patty

Patty Well-Known Member

Lowrance and Garmin have a tech sharing agreement, not much to sort out...

7. fishdoctor

Interesting comparison.

lake-fisher likes this.