1. Welcome to the Canadian Fishing Forum! If this is your first visit, please go ahead and sign-up to become a member! (Many threads and comments are visible only to Members who sign up with a VALID email address.) Do not hesitate to contribute and interact with fellow members.

SPOON FEEDING WALLEYE

Discussion in 'Fishing Tips, Tricks, and Hacks' started by FISHLIPS, Jul 6, 2020.

1. FISHLIPS

FISHLIPS Member

In recent yrs I have moved more toward spoons over jigs for walleye with great success,I find I am out fishing others on my boat ,plus I seem to be getting bigger fish.A silver or gold tear dropped spoon works the best for me,I find long slender type spoons have a tendency to hook the line when they flutter down. I usually start with an aggressive and constant jigging technique to target active fish.If I find they are not hitting that a half minnow across 2 prongs slows the fall a bit. I will also try the slender spoon from jigs and spins in 15' or shallower because it takes awhile to get to the bottom because of it's slow flutter/fall. A friend of mine uses a 5 of diamonds yr round.

What's your favorite walleye spoon/technique?

2. Tinman

Tinman Well-Known Member

I’ve had really good success with Xstream Tackle Rattle Sticks

3. FISHLIPS

FISHLIPS Member

ANY COLOR PREFERENCES FOR CLEAR OR STAINED WATER? SIZE?

4. Mike B.

Mike B. Well-Known Member

I go by a general rule of thumb--- cold water, hard baits, warm water, soft baits.

It all depends on the water body as to what bait style and color etc. Timing and water-specific.

Once/if you start fishing a lot of different water (and I'd suggest that if you want to learn a lot) you will learn what baits tend to work at certain water temps, per water body. Even on the same lake, different areas have different go-to baits for me.

--whatever is getting bit the hardest.

Favorite way to catch Walleyes-- an underspin with a swimbait, shallow, or when they're crushing a jerkbait. ......when they're hitting that stuff like it owes them money, that's good times.

Frank_NK28 and Ernie like this.
  5. LizLakeZed

LizLakeZed Well-Known Member

Slender Spoon and Rattle Stix. Two of my favs for sure.