1. Welcome to the Canadian Fishing Forum! If this is your first visit, please go ahead and sign-up to become a member! (Many threads and comments are visible only to Members who sign up with a VALID email address.) Do not hesitate to contribute and interact with fellow members.

AEM for mobile!!!

Discussion in 'Paid advertising Text Ads. Dealers and Retailers' started by craigm, Feb 9, 2021.

1. Inmate

Inmate Well-Known Member

What can I say. I was overwhelmed with technology.

All the best technology and tackle in the world and I still can’t catch a fish ;)

My phone can’t download shit, because my internet at home is so shitty (and my kids hotspotting in the car) I’m usually at my capped GB 1/3 of the way through every month.

Gord likes this.
  2. KDueck

KDueck Well-Known Member

Question for you folks. Is there a local shop that specializes in tablets? I've been looking at a new tab since my old Samsung is incompatible with Avenza, and I think I found one(Samsung active pro) that I would like to purchase, but would really like to talk to someone about it and make sure it will run the app. Have been checking out local shops like The Source, best buy etc, but no one seems to carry this model(online anyway) Thinking there may be a commercial shop that may carry it around here? Or anyone have this tablet who can confirm it will be compatible?

3. Voyageur

Voyageur Member

I can't confirm that it would work but depending on how old your old tablet was and what version the operating system was may be a factor. I have it running in my phone which is a Samsung s9 and avenza works on it. And this tablet is newer than my phone so I would say it would work. To be sure find out the operating system that Avena app needs and find out the operating system of the tablet. Once you have that you should know if it would work.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

KDueck likes this.
  4. KDueck

KDueck Well-Known Member

My tablet is definitely a few years old(model SM-T113 with Android version 4.4.4). Doesn't have Avenza or Mercury vesselview in the app store. Kinda wanted a bit larger device anyway. Had my old one worked, I would probably have mounted it on the dash and put the bigger one at the bow. Now I'll have to transfer the new one between 2 ram mounts. Little bit of a PITA, but will do for now.

5. Mike B.

Mike B. Well-Known Member

Even after the latest OS update to your older tablet, Avenza won't work?

For what it's worth, my Huwawei tablet that came with my S9 phone runs Avenza mint. Very nice to browse the AEM maps on the bigger tablet.

6. washing hooks

washing hooks Well-Known Member

7. KDueck

KDueck Well-Known Member

From what I read now Avenza is compatible with Android 6 and up. Ordered in a 10" Samsung Active Pro tablet from Memory Express yesterday. IP68 rating. Should be compatible. Also looking at a used Huawei as my second unit for the bow on fair weather days.

8. Mike B.

I can tell you 100% that Avenza works flawlessly on my Samsung S9 and my 1-2 yr old Hawawei tablet. Both running Android OS

So nice to be able to browse the maps, in the palm of one's hand.

I need to play with the app more, to add all my waypoints. I've heard nothing but great reviews on the waypoint functionality of Avenza, but am yet to try it....just too busy with the Winter-to-Spring flip lately.

9. KDueck

KDueck Well-Known Member

Yes works on my S9 also. My other tablet is about 10yrs old, kids are not even using it anymore. Haha. Really I needed a good excuse to buy a new bigger tab.

Mike B. likes this.
  10. theKraken

theKraken Well-Known Member

Has there been a tutorial video for importing waypoints from the lowrance app yet?

11. Gord

Gord Well-Known Member

I think @robm did one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Mike B.

Nope, but they're available.

Exporting---

Gord and theKraken like this.
  13. KDueck

KDueck Well-Known Member

Finally got the new Samsung Active Pro tablet. Gotta say, I'm pretty pumped about having AEM on board this year!!! 20210427_193028.jpg

ribbie, Choppers, Bryan and 7 others like this.
  14. Mike B.

I'm assuming the "Active" namesake indicates a 'tough book' type of chassis that's meant for some rougher than normal usage? If so, sounds ideal for that situation in a boat or at camp.

You're gonna love having the McDoooogz along with you :)

15. KDueck

KDueck Well-Known Member

Yes it has the IP68 rating, so should be able to withstand the elements, and comes with an extra case for protection. Also has a removable battery, micro SD slot for added storage, and an S-pen for those cold days you don't want to take your gloves off. When on non AEM waters it will serve as a screen for my Mercury Vesselview.

Gord and Mike B. like this.
  16. JR123

JR123 Well-Known Member

Just wanted to relate a story about the excellent customer service at Avenza. When I first opened my account with them to buy some AEM digital maps, I mistakenly bought a couple outside my account, so couldn't share those 2 with my other devices. I found w. Google in the Avenza FAQ the procedure to contact Avenza support with my purchase history and they could move the maps into my account. I put it off for a couple months as it wasn't urgent and I thought maybe it would be a hassle. Boy was it ever the opposite. I finally emailed Avenza support yesterday with my request and within an hour I had a reply back, they had moved the maps into my account and reminded me how to access them . I was really impressed with the service. Seems like a good partner for AEM. Oh and i have used some of the other maps (properly downloaded) on my phone in the boat and it works great.

Mike B., Greg, Patty and 6 others like this.
  17. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if I'm clear on this but I just upgraded my phone, how do I download a map previously purchased? Is this possible?

18. chrism

chrism Well-Known Member

Tony
    Add the Avenza app
    Then log in
    Then go to "purchased maps"
    Done!

RonB, Gord, robm and 2 others like this.
  19. robm

robm Well-Known Member

Video to supplement, although it really is as simple ^ as @chrism describes.

Harpz, KDueck, Tony and 1 other person like this.