1. Welcome to the Canadian Fishing Forum! If this is your first visit, please go ahead and sign-up to become a member! (Many threads and comments are visible only to Members who sign up with a VALID email address.) Do not hesitate to contribute and interact with fellow members.

Stocking stuffers, the ultimate pre-fishing tools, and a CFF Christmas special

Discussion in 'Paid advertising Text Ads. Dealers and Retailers' started by craigm, Dec 6, 2020.

1. craigm

craigm Well-Known Member

When I saw your Insight Genesis based map of Moose Lake @glennie_rapala , my first thought was OMG....”that must be some terrible data”....second thought was “....or Insight Genesis is total garbage.” Lake bottoms tend to be very smooth in areas far removed from the influence of flowing water (take a look at our map of Big Whiteshell, Falcon, Star, etc). Apart from where there is pronounced structure, the bottom is essentially flat....and if you don’t believe me you can verify this on your sonar while driving over basin areas.

On the Moose Lake Insight Genesis map @glennie made the bottom was so irregular and unnatural - to me it looked polluted with data artifacts, either stemming from poor data collection or poor/insufficient post-processing. Now don’t get me wrong, when we(AEM) put the data through our post-processing routines, it tightened things up quite a bit (false bottoms from thick macrophytes were somewhat influential in the Insight Genesis based map)....but even in our final version the bottom was clearly irregular, which would not be expected if it was a natural lake and had been slowly silting in over 1000s of years since glacial recession....it should have been smoother. That was my thought process anyway.

Should we petition to change the name “Moose Lake” to something more accurate??? Even “Moose” kinda seems out of place unless there it is some historical reference that I am not familiar with.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
    Patty and glennie_rapala like this.
  2. Little Spoon

Little Spoon Well-Known Member

My guess is the name probably has to do something with the moose population that used to be in that area before they were wiped out

craigm likes this.
  3. Mike B.

Mike B. Well-Known Member

Maybe in 100 years the City of Wpg will be under 20ft of water and guys will be catching Greenbacks off of sofas, bed frames and kid's toys in the north end :grimacing:

craigm, Patty, Tony and 1 other person like this.
  4. lirwin4

lirwin4 Well-Known Member

The entire area SW of Steinbach, but mostly near Whitemouth and Moose Lakes, used to have a heathy moose population. Two bad winters in a row, more than 10 years ago, have wiped them out completely. I have not seen a single track or even heard of one since. I was hoping that they would trickle back in from the Whiteshell and Nopiming areas but that doesn't seem to be happening.

craigm likes this.
  5. glennie_rapala

glennie_rapala Well-Known Member

You got it Spoon. There used to be lots of Moose in the area until about 25 years ago when they died out from brain worm.

craigm likes this.
  6. glennie_rapala

And stolen cars will be the best structure. Instead of gravel beds, walleye will gravitate to all the discarded PPE laying on the bottom of the Red.

Mike B., Jneuf, craigm and 1 other person like this.
  7. Patty

Patty Well-Known Member

“bad winters” lol

Musta been the same bad winters that got all the Agassiz moose too lol

Mike B., craigm, Jackfish and 4 others like this.
  8. Little Spoon

Little Spoon Well-Known Member

Yep allways love hearing stories from the old folks around deer camp that used to hunt moose out there in areas where i now deer hunt. Sure woulda been cool to be around in those days

craigm likes this.
  9. Patty

Patty Well-Known Member

Most of those areas didn’t have a legit season either lol

10. Patty

Patty Well-Known Member

But yeah moose lake, looks cool, I’m gonna go shithawk glennie out there... he won’t be hard to find, it’s the legend with #fuckpatty on the side, that can’t get it up on plane...

Andrew, Tony, glennie_rapala and 5 others like this.
  11. glennie_rapala

If you do go to Moose, just remember there’s no smallmouths there. So don’t plan on having a shore lunch lol.

Andrew, robm, Gord and 1 other person like this.
  12. craigm

craigm Well-Known Member

I just wanted to take a minute to say thank you to all of the CFF'rs that have supported AEM, and by extension several other small local businesses that we work with locally.

A few shout-outs to some of the small businesses we have worked with over the past 5 years:

1) @Miss Tesla and her business Promotime. Anybody that knows AEM understands that we value quality above all else. Promotime based in Neepawa, Manitoba delivers the quality we demand consistently, and has great ideas for small businesses. Highly recommended.

2) ValleyFashions. It is so cool to have a local company that can do sublimation to perfection.....replication of our colour pallet is not easy....looking forward to working with them on a couple projects over the winter! ;)

3) InstaFrame Galleries. InstaFrame handles the mounting of all of our print maps. Their specialty is custom-framing....if you have any precious photos that you would like to give some serious love to (either in their original format or enlarged), InstaFrame can likely help you out. No disappointments here.

4) Corporate Source is located at 195 McPhillips Street. They produce our clamshell inserts, SD card labels and various other promotional items. They have been great to work with over the years! Typically we approach them last-minute, and they have always delivered what we need promptly!

lirwin4, EYEhigh89, Steve and 10 others like this.
  13. lewbank

lewbank Well-Known Member

Here come the dye-sublimated hoodies :grinning:!

Cubdriver, Tony, Dave and 7 others like this.
  14. Mike B.

Mike B. Well-Known Member

#supportlocal

#thatstheword

#winkyface

craigm likes this.
  15. Patty

Patty Well-Known Member

F5E99E29-6586-41E0-A76F-9B2CD7641588.jpeg

Koltons new lucky fishin toque!!!

KDueck, Choppers, Mike B. and 18 others like this.